AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Slicing & Dicing Cover Crop Mix & ????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Crop Walker
Posted 11/22/2012 19:14 (#2711316)
Subject: Slicing & Dicing Cover Crop Mix & ????

Central Ontario

Heading down the road to striptill last corn field, decided to pull in and do a few strips in the CC mix planted after wheat.

36 lb/ac 80% Oats, 20% Pea mix.  Planted Oat/Peas together last spring for seed
2 lb/ac Radish
3 lb/ac Crimson Clover
100 lb/ac potash  
All was blended at the ferilizer plant then spread with airflo terragator Sept. 4 onto wheat stubble.

Ran Salford RTS over field after seed/ fert was spread.  Had good moisture to germ and grow.
Observations:  Oats and radish grew well, seems like lots of radish for only 2 lbs.  Only few peas, really have to look for them.
Crimson clover is there, not real thick or large, there is nodules on roots and they are pink inside.
Majority of the radish have nice even taper to them, limited compaction from my observation.
This area is more lush than other parts of field. This has been a high yielding farm for years. Lot better growth on this farm than other rented farm near by.

Questions: 1. No nitrogen was applied, if 20-30 lb N been applied would I be sure to recover cost of N next spring?
2.Crimson clover being not very large do you think much N for next crop.
3. If you could convert root growth and the fracturing effect on the soil etc how many Horse Power would you estimate. Every tiny root is a tillage shank in my view

I only stripped a couple rounds. Will leave rest of field as is, let it winter kill then strip and apply fertilizer in strip before planting corn.

(Strongs ST Cover.jpg)

(ST Mix.jpg)

(Roots-Structure.jpg)

(Radish.jpg)

(Crim- Clover.jpg)

(Crim Clover roots.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Strongs ST Cover.jpg (58KB - 109 downloads)
Attachments ST Mix.jpg (62KB - 104 downloads)
Attachments Roots-Structure.jpg (56KB - 108 downloads)
Attachments Radish.jpg (46KB - 108 downloads)
Attachments Crim- Clover.jpg (53KB - 118 downloads)
Attachments Crim Clover roots.jpg (36KB - 104 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)