AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

??'s for guys knowledgeable about wells
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike..SESD
Posted 11/20/2012 13:47 (#2707651)
Subject: ??'s for guys knowledgeable about wells

Chancellor, SD
Here is the situation....back in the early 80's my grandpa dug 3 wells to run a center pivot irrigation system. Evidentally they didn't produce enough and they were abandoned. We were looking for a faster way to fill the tender tanks for spraying and thought of those wells. One is about 600 feet from a bin site where we can get power and run pipe to fill the tank. Of the 3 wells, two of them still had the submersible motors and pumps in them. So we pulled them up last week. One had a 10 hp motor and the other a 15 hp motor. One of the pumps was too corroded to use, the other we tested today and it still pumps...looks like 200 gpm with the 10 horse motor.

The pipes were all pretty much shot when we pulled them. My question is this....is there some type of continuous flexible plastic pipe we could use to put down the well instead of steel or pvc pipe? The well we are going to try and use is about 75 feet deep. I know we can get 4" pvc, but it only comes in 20 foot sections we were told and that makes it difficult for us to handle by ourselves putting it back in. If we have to spend a bunch of money getting it running again it doesn't really make it worth it. So can you get a 2 1/2 or 3" continuous black plastic pipe? Is there another option I haven't thought of yet? I realize it will lose capacity with smaller pipe, but even 100 gpm would be great.

Thanks for any advice.

Another thing...we haven't tried the 15 hp motor yet to see if it works....but if it does what might something like that be worth $$? Also would anyone buy it knowing it sat at the bottom of a well for 30 + years? Dad figures it only ran about 10 hours before they gave up on it, and it looks pretty good yet. It is a 3 phase motor also.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)