AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Livestock hauling? what you pulling?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Notazo6
Posted 11/12/2012 11:28 (#2692822)
Subject: Livestock hauling? what you pulling?

South Central South Dakota
I'm looking to purchase a new or newer trailer to haul cattle to a couple pastures in the spring and calves to market in the winter.

So id be hauling about 150 cows with calves in the summer and about 500-600 weaned calves in the winter to market.

My choices have been

1. 30-34ft horse trailer. Pro's i feel Pull with larger pickup or semi and haul decent amount to town or pasture. Con don't have larger pickup so would have to use semi and not sure i feel comfortable taking something like that out in a pasture. Also manuvering around and dragging trailer

2. Ground load trailer 36-40ft. Pro's pull with semi. haul greater group of cattle. Cons Ground load may not get around as good and get hung up

3. Flat Deck hauler. Pro's pull with semi. haul good number of cattle manuveratblity better no fear of dragging. Con's Plenty long in lenght could make getting around more difficult. Always need a loading chute to load or unload. Seen old Hog ones converted for cattle so not sure if the sidewalls can really take the strain of cattle over hogs.

So Anyone have run or own all or any of the above and give me more insight then i am seeing. The hired help and misses says horse trailer but i don't see it they say it can be used for more things but yet can't produce what.

The reason a Cattle pot is not listed is i had a chance to use one and it did not get around at all where i needed to go with it.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)