AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EZ-Steer & Plastic Columns
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 6/14/2006 09:34 (#19402)
Subject: EZ-Steer & Plastic Columns

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

There was a comment below about mounting the EZ on a new tractor that has a plastic column.

The good news is: Somewhere beneath the pretty dressing, there is steel. I think that's the place to mount the bracket. Here's how I handled the MT-845 Cat. First order of business was to strip off the top and bottom plastic column. Next, I found a pipe that had an I.D. to match the O.D. of the steel column. I split that short piece and welded ears to it, to make it a clamp. My task was complicated by the fact that there's a big bundle of wires running up the column to the steering wheel. Had to make the bracket removable from the clamp to solve that. A coat of paint and it mounted up as planned. The top part of the plastic housing didn't need to be trimmed at all. Slots needed to be cut in the bottom housing only.

I agree that the motor is not the most elegant solution, and more-so on a fly-by-wire machine like the MT. The steering wheel has no connection to the steering hydraulics, other than electrical. I believe a box is available that hooks the EZ into the electronics, but it's a bit more money than the steering servo. Would not have the portability to the older equipment either, so I'll do this for now.

P.S. Myself and others have commented on the price of ready made brackets. Something like this one would get bought instead of made if it was available for $75 Frown

(cut.jpg)

(paint.jpg)

(bracketa.jpg)

(bracket.jpg)

(cab.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cut.jpg (53KB - 896 downloads)
Attachments paint.jpg (58KB - 908 downloads)
Attachments bracketa.jpg (43KB - 899 downloads)
Attachments bracket.jpg (46KB - 913 downloads)
Attachments cab.jpg (70KB - 876 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)