AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CRP ground to Corn in So Illinois, what next?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

LuckyIL
Posted 8/6/2012 21:05 (#2525501)
Subject: CRP ground to Corn in So Illinois, what next?

I have former CRP ground that was disced and notill planted to corn. Waiting to hear from the insurance adjust or but I'm looking at my options.

The farmer isn't interested in cutting for silage he believes doing so will remove potash and it wouldn't be ideal for next years crop. I'm becoming more involved as a landowner and I would like to build these soils. I had to run dozers to clear autumn olives but I'd like to hear what others are doing with corn as opposed to silage.

He mentioned discing it in. I want to avoid repeated tillage, I should have a nice c.n ratio with having 20+ years of CRP growth shouldn't I? Would mowing the corn cause potash loss? I considered cover crops and possibly aerially seeding it into the standing corn, I have a hunting outfitter interested in leaving some of the standing corn. He wants to mow strips and then disc it in later. What kinda residue issues and management methods should I consider if I wanted tillage radish and clovers, with mowing stalks as opposed to dissing the 175 acre field again?

County average is 138bu on a good year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)