AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pics of crops, cover crops and planting at the WIU Organic Research Farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jbgruver
Posted 5/31/2012 12:03 (#2407228)
Subject: pics of crops, cover crops and planting at the WIU Organic Research Farm

Hello folks,

we got all of our corn plots planted yesterday afternoon and the farm had already received a gentle 0.5" of rain as of 9 am this morning... so I am feeling good!

Some recent pics should be attached.

pic 1 shows corn getting planted over top of radish rows (8 rows x 1200' plots x 4 reps - Tillage Radish and Graza radish planted last fall)... field was worked shallowly with a rotavator about a month ago and with a field cultivator on Tuesday.

pic 2 shows us planting a corn hybrid trial ( 8 rows x 1200' plots x 4 reps - 2 hybrids) into redclover residue. Redclover was frost seeded into cereal rye for seed in March 2011 - RC was terminated with a rotavator about 3 weeks ago and hit twice with a field cultivator on Tuesday. Row cleaners did a great job of moving residue out of the row.

pic 3 shows soybeans emerging through thick cereal rye residue... beans were drilled into standing cereal rye 3 weeks ago today... I think the stand will be good but it is hard to tell from this pic. No burn down was applied.

pic 4 shows my technician standing on the edge of our wheat radish experiment (0, 2 and 4 lbs/a of Tillage radish through the small seed box as we drilled wheat).

pic 5 shows shows a field planted in mid-March to a cover crop cocktail dominated by phacelia. A neighbor was planning to bring over 10 more hives of bees last night to join the 3 that are already at the farm. In a few weeks, we are planning to till in the cover crops and plant sunflowers.

Precision Organics will be the topic of our field day this summer... presenters will discuss the use of GPS guidance and other precision ag technologies (both high tech and low tech) to improve efficiency and effectiveness of field operations on organic grain farms.

I will post more information soon.

Joel
WIU Agriculture

Edited by jbgruver 5/31/2012 12:22

(100_0611.jpg)

(100_0619.jpg)

(100_0620.jpg)

(100_0629.jpg)

(100_0614.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_0611.jpg (55KB - 199 downloads)
Attachments 100_0619.jpg (84KB - 177 downloads)
Attachments 100_0620.jpg (129KB - 188 downloads)
Attachments 100_0629.jpg (64KB - 179 downloads)
Attachments 100_0614.jpg (106KB - 191 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)