AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seedstar problem - motors kicking out
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 4/5/2007 19:29 (#131660)
Subject: Seedstar problem - motors kicking out

Pittsburg, Kansas

I think we may have this figured out but can not find out for sure till tomorrow. Just started planting here (a couple weeks behind).

The problem is with a Greenstar I system trying to do variable rate prescriptions with a 24r20" 1790 planter. The planter works fine as long as we are not using a prescription. When we have the prescription going the seed drive motors will kick out and quit planting almost as soon as the tractor gets started. On one page of the GS display there is information stating "Minimum ground speed 2075.6" and this number will change a little.

We scratched our heads quite a bit but I think I have it figured out but can't tell untill I get a chance to talk to Becky who does all our prescriptions. I'm guessing that for prescriptions she put in 26 instead of 26,000 (as an example, the prescriptions would vary from 22,000 up to 32,000) because that is the way we write prescriptions for our home made hydraulic drive unit on our 7300 planter driven by a Raven 450. If the planter was trying to plant 26 seeds per acre instead of 26000 the shafts would be turning so slow the planter would have to be traveling 2075 mph to go fast enough for the minimum rpm the motor can run the shaft. Drop 3 decimal places off the 2075 and it is about 2.1 mph which makes sense. So I think we just have a problem with the prescription being so low the planter can't plant it.

Does this sound like a logical explanation to my problem? anyone else ever had anything like this happen? We had ran the Seedstar last year but without mobil processor, prescription and map based seeding key card or field doc, which we just added. It worked fine then and it works fine now as long as the prescription is not used. Field Doc even seems to work although we have not had a chance to download anything to see for sure.

Electronics are wonderful when they work - I'm pretty sure this is operator error somewhere. First day of planting when starting two weeks late and having electronic problems like these - sure makes life "interesting".

John

Edited by John Burns 4/5/2007 19:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)