AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Standard vs Specialty vs AFX vs Precision Farm Parts rotor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 1/12/2010 17:41 (#1019244)
Subject: Standard vs Specialty vs AFX vs Precision Farm Parts rotor

I've been researching what to do with my rotor situation and I'm getting confused. Up until a little bit ago due to my reading on NAT if I were to put an ideal rotor in my 1480 (for wheat with a stripper header and corn) it would be as follows:

1. A good straight specialty rotor
2. 12 new Gordon bars on the front
3. Some sort of hardened version of whatever is standard on the rest of the rotor
4. A Kile Rotor Flight to put on the front of it.

That pretty much covers it. However I've talked with both Ron Kile and Marvin Gordon and my opinions are changing now.

I may have misunderstood Ron but I thought he indicated that the Gordon bars were designed to try to pull crop through the rotor as quickly as possible and this wasn't good for getting rid of white caps on wheat. He thought that his bars (rectangular in shape but didn't have an angle that tried to pull the grain through the rotor) were better for keeping the crop in the rotor longer and getting rid of the white caps.

Marvin indicated that he thought the Gordon bars were good for getting rid of white caps simply because they provided more bar surface area than the specialty rotor bars and if you didn't have enough bar area with wheat (and especially with a stripper header) you weren't going to get a good thresh. Marvin also indicated that the best rotor for both wheat and corn is just a regular old standard rotor. He thought that it would probably be a disadvantage to put a Kile Rotor Flight on any rotor because it would push the wheat with white caps on it through the machine too quickly and not allow a proper thresh.

Finally, I also talked to Mike of Precision Farm Parts in Canada. They have a rotor that they build out of any standard or specialty rotor that you send them. It sounds like the current price with a core (you have to prep it) is $3495 w/o the Kile Rotor Flight and $4095 w/o a core and $5090 w/o a core and with the Kile Rotor Flight. He doesn't like the Gordon bars because he says if you get any foreign matter in there they will shatter pretty easily.

I like the idea of having a significant amount of bar area (for more threshing to get rid of white caps) which leads me to believe that the standard rotor, specialty rotor with Gordon bars, or Precision Farm Parts rotor would be wise. I also like the idea of not chewing corn cobs up which leads me to believe that maybe a standard rotor or Precision farm Parts rotor would be the way to go. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Especially on the Precision Farm Parts rotor. For some reason that is really intriguing to me.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)