AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Simple Guidance System for Row Counting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

bviator
Posted 1/22/2007 19:34 (#92858)
Subject: Simple Guidance System for Row Counting

Southern Louisiana
We're looking for a simple solution for row counting on our autotrac ready JD 4720 sprayer. We will always be spraying on 68" beds since this is a sugarcane farm. We never spray on a flat. The rows are not perfect, and many are curved.

The JD sprayer comes equiped with Spraystar (radar based). We found that all we really want is for a gps guidance system/lightbar to tell us what row to turn back in on so we can eliminate one more task at the end of each pass. This gets tedious when concentrating on folding the booms, avoiding fenceposts, and keeping from dropping the sprayer in a ditch.

We have looked at equiping the sprayer with JD Greenstar SF1 and parallel tracking (using rowfinder mode) and also Ag Leader EZ guide to accomplish this task. We have figured we will need a second display to run the Greenstar without switching back and forth on the single display running spraystar. EZ guide will likely be the cheapest route.

Any sugggestions between the above two? As I said, all we need is row counting to guide us into the next set of rows. If the rows are slightly off, I imagine we will need to use "nudge" features to get back on track. Is this the case with both? Also, I understand the JD parallel tracking requires a single key press at the end of each pass, where the EZ guide does not? Also, what about audible warnings to indicate which row to turn in on?

Second question, which system is easiest to input a GPS signal that will override the radar speed in spraystar. In sugarcane, the dense, heavy foliage gives us fits using radar and were hoping to improve the radar speed with GPS simulated radar speed. We would like to avoid using wheel sesnor speed if tires slip, but have heard its the best option.

Edited by bviator 1/22/2007 22:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)