AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A better QuickBooks replacement? ZarMoney
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Flagship
Posted 2/16/2023 19:50 (#10098298)
Subject: A better QuickBooks replacement? ZarMoney

Like many of you, I've grown disgusted with how Intuit is pricing the QuickBooks desktop editions...and also QuickBooks Online. I think all cost more than they're worth, when you begin looking at QB's competition...and that's a lot for me to admit, given that I've written The QuickBooks Farm Accounting Cookbookâ„¢ series of books on using QB in agriculture, as some of you know.

I've investigated several QuickBooks replacements lately, and stumbled onto ZarMoney (http://zarmoney.com)...one which most of us have likely not heard of.

From what I've seen so far it BLOWS AWAY QuickBooks Online, and works a lot like QuickBooks Pro or QuickBooks Premier desktop editions. I find it easier to use than QuickBooks Online because it is actually more "QuickBooks-like"...or more correctly, it is more like the QuickBooks desktop editions than QuickBooks Online is.

Essentially ZM it is a cloud-based clone of QuickBooks desktop. A lot of how it works is a thinly veiled copy of how QuickBooks works. Some of the terms have been changed slightly, to make it seem like less of a clone. For instance QB's Undeposited Funds account is called Deposit Bag account in ZarMoney.

A few of the more farm-business-oriented features require some ferreting out. For instance, lots of general business programs only offer Invoices and Checks as ways to enter sales, while QuickBooks has the handy Sales Receipts form--for use when entering a sale and received payment at the same time, when you want to use QB Items to record a sale with a quantity, such as bushels when using your Corn (or whatever) Item. ZM has a Quick Sale form which is essentially the same as QB's Sales Receipt...but you have to turn on that feature in Settings.

So far I'm not sure ZM can do both Cash and Accrual basis profit and loss reports. There's no "Cash basis" setting on those reports, but you do have the option to choose whether the program's default accounting method is Cash or Accrual.

Checks? If you're moving from QuickBooks, you can use any QB-compatible paper checks.

ZM also has an expected amount of cloud-related features, like the ability to email someone a Bill, including a link in the email for them to pay the bill directly by credit card...but those features seem better organized to me than they are in QB Online.

Like everything else is going, ZM is subscription based. But you get *all* of its features for $15 per month for one user, or $20 per month for 2 users (and can add more users at $10 per month each). Automated Payroll, if you want that, is an add-on service for additional cost.

On this snowy afternoon I was checking out ZM's features, entering test transactions, etc., and had lots of questions. The Help system has a lot of good articles and videos--very well done. And you can send questions to tech support directly from within their Help system. I never waited more than 5 - 10 minutes for an answer to any question, having asked probably 8 or more questions this afternoon. One answer required the support person to ask a tech. question of the development team, yet I still got an answer back within 10 minutes. And all of the answers I received seemed to have come from someone who actually understood what I was asking. (Don't expect that from Intuit support!)

Anyway, I think it's worth a look if you like the QB desktop editions, and want something which is actively being developed with new features and changes, but can't stand how Intuit is pricing them and/or QuickBooks Online.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)