AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

It isn't "the problem is, it's "the challenge is"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pvafarm
Posted 5/14/2022 17:01 (#9660360)
Subject: It isn't "the problem is, it's "the challenge is"

Southeast WI
I have a good friend. We met in college and he grew up the next town over. When we talk about trying new things he usually starts out with, well the problem with that is.... And he seldom makes changes. It's kinda human nature. I see it here often and I also see some pretty innovative people, too on this site. I get bored with the status quo. Take full scale tillage. It's mind numbing, doesn't do anything to improve the soil and takes lots of fuel and expensive hp.

Now I'm not a dolt. I understand why so many rely on it to get crops in. It's generally reliable but there are long term downsides. No need to go into that as we can beat that horse some other time. My point is over the last 30 years weve run the gamut of full tillage moving a lot of ground to pema notill, and then there's other ground that resists no-tilling reliably on time. So 7 years ago after getting fed up with the full scale tillage regime I bought a pluribus. There's multiple strip till rigs that would work but this fit my small scale equipment and I wanted experience to see how it worked. And the neat thing is strip till, guidance on older tractors are all economically feasible and scalable.

Well we've take these imperfectly drained fields, given them no-till structure so they support equipment and give them a nudge with spring strip till to plant timely. This field was gooey in spots all over 2 days ago. Beans are going in nicely today in good moisture with a hint of dust. No way would this have planted straight no-till. My hope for many of you is search for better ways and don't be one one of those "the problem is" people. Switch the thought process to "the challenge is"...

(IMG_20220514_155627385 (full).jpg)

(IMG_20220514_160907659 (full).jpg)

(IMG_20220514_160914098 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20220514_155627385 (full).jpg (195KB - 181 downloads)
Attachments IMG_20220514_160907659 (full).jpg (133KB - 156 downloads)
Attachments IMG_20220514_160914098 (full).jpg (158KB - 173 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)