AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wife made a new friend.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

John Burns
Posted 5/12/2022 12:35 (#9657693)
Subject: Wife made a new friend.....

Pittsburg, Kansas
Yesterday this native parakeet just came into the open air kitchen where my wife was cooking and tried to join her. Can tell it has been a tamed bird because it came right to her and sat on her sholder, would bite her hair and crawl around on her. When I got out of the water diving she walked over and showed it to me and it soon jumped/flew to my first stage of my regulator on top of the tank, walked up on my sholder, and made itself home. I took my tank off and it stayed with the tank for awhile. It seemed to be hungry as my wife had fed it several things and gave it a bowl of water.

I got the owner (as he has had birds in the past). He had an old cage and put it in, thinking it was someone's pet that had got out. This morning they opened the cage to see if it wanted its freedom back and it eventually flew out and up into the trees.

Fast forward to after lunch and it was setting on the concrete balony rail of our room as my wife came up from lunch. She put her finger down and it redily hoped on and started playing with her wrist band jewelery. Gave it something to eat. A couple of the wild parakeets landed nearby in a tree where we could see them. It took off again. The owner hopes it will stick around, be in the wild most of the time, but come back for feed, water and an open cage which they will keep out for it.

This is a wild species of parakeet native to Bonaire. There is also a native species of parrots on the island (native only to Bonaire - a unique species) that we see often which are somewhat larger and although the same colors but in a different pattern or distribution on the body. This one is a Brown throated parakeet.

Pretty wild.

Edited by John Burns 5/12/2022 12:48

(20220512_132234 (full).jpg)

(20220512_132038 (full).jpg)

(20220512_132006 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20220512_132234 (full).jpg (124KB - 145 downloads)
Attachments 20220512_132038 (full).jpg (105KB - 184 downloads)
Attachments 20220512_132006 (full).jpg (103KB - 144 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)