AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Internet in Basement-WiFi Repeater, Access Point, Suggestions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 12/28/2021 12:43 (#9403026)
Subject: Internet in Basement-WiFi Repeater, Access Point, Suggestions

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have my home office on the main floor of my house where Internet comes in from the outside world. I'm using a TRENDnet router that came from my Internet Service Provider. It is the two antenna style which seems to be very common. It is physically plugged into my Win 10 computer via an ethernet cable. The router literally sits on top of the computer. That computer communicates directly with the router. Our smartphones/tablets work reasonably well in most of the rooms on the main floor.

I am now setting up a workshop in my basement. I purchased a refurbished computer for that area. It came with a USB device to communicate with the Internet. Originally I temporarily set it up in the home office close to the router. Internet Access worked as expected wirelessly to my TRENDnet router.

I then moved the newer computer to the basement area. The main floor and a block wall are obstacles between this newer computer and the router. This sort of worked but seemed glitchy. I remembered that I had at one time purchased a unit called WiFi Blast. I was able to set it up as a repeater. I placed it in my basement about half way between the router and the newer computer. My router is called TRENDnet652. After installing the repeater I then had both TRENDnet652 (the original) and TRENDnet652_Ext (the repeater). I set the new computer in the basement up to work with TRENDnet652_Ext. This seemed to work and I thought I had the problem solved.

Today I found that the WiFi Blast was not repeating. My basement computer had switched back to TRENDnet652. My phone only showed the original source as well.

I did a search on WiFi Blast and found that it had very poor reviews which seemed to agree with my findings.

So with all this being said, I'm open to suggestions as far as what to do to improve my situation.. One thought would be to get a better repeater and mount it halfway in between again. I notice many have the two antenna setup which may be better.

Another thought would be to route an actual ethernet cable from the router on the main floor to a repeater in the basement. This would require running it through the main floor into the basement. The repeater could need be placed about half way but have the advantage of being hard wired in and wireless out to the computer which would be fairly close.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by tedbear 12/28/2021 13:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)