AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Won’t do that again!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Donkey13
Posted 11/23/2021 22:57 (#9337863)
Subject: Won’t do that again!

ND
Weaned calves today. Finished sorting and ran cows out of lots and fed them half mile from home. Went back to yard and bedded and filled bunkline with hay and added couple stress tubs of mineral. Then I started walking calves out of sorting pens into the big lot where they will be for a few months. As I brought last of them out and walked them to new pen there was a 600 lb steer who reached through gate to eat hay out of bunk. Amazing how often they can get their head through but not back out. I got an ear in and started cranking on his nose and pushed and punched a little. Meanwhile he has decided to push pull and run everywhere swinging the gate with him. I just recovered from covid so my mind isn’t firing at 100% yet so I got this great idea. I’m gonna climb up the gate and stand on the bottom horizontal tube he is stuck between. Being I weigh 250 I should be able to bend it or bow it enough for him to pull his head out. Well, once I got up and started bouncing a little he decided to push the gate as fast as he could one way. This was just enough to send me flying in the air doing flips and I was hoping I wasn’t gonna land on my head or neck. Thankfully flat on my back. In the meantime he got it off the hinges and run through the lot with a 10 foot gate attached to his head. Figured I was lucky enough not to break my neck but he wasn’t gonna be as lucky. He hit the gate into a high line pole flipped him and his head popped out and away he went. All turned out ok. Never a dull moment around cattle as u all know. Anyway thought I’d share my educational lesson for the day!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)