AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Massey 510 in heavy weeds
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Dgosse
Posted 9/15/2021 09:53 (#9221410)
Subject: Massey 510 in heavy weeds

Northeast Iowa
Hey folks. My brother and I are farming organic, so that probably sets the stage fairly well for my question here...
We have some soybeans on rented ground, where we were not made aware of just how bad the weed pressure is, that are terrible, terrible weedy. The beans themselves are doing surprisingly well, I'm just worried about being able to get them out of the weeds. We run a Massey 510 Hydro that is in very nice shape and we do our best to set it well and maintain it well. We are still somewhat new to it so I take every opportunity to learn about it that I can.
We're going to replace all the teeth on the cutter bar so everything is nice and sharp, and we have a neighbor that wants us to combine some beans for him. So, we should be able to have it set pretty well for clean soybeans before we go into these weeds. I figured that would give us a good baseline. We also plan on waiting for a frost.

Other than that, any other good suggestions? Should the sieves be set differently because of the weeds? Would it be plausible to open the concave a little more to avoid plugging, then open the sieves some and use the re-thresh more? Or is that a bad idea?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)