AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can a jalapeño plant increase capsaicin in the right growing conditions?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Pigpiggy
Posted 9/13/2021 17:34 (#9218471)
Subject: Can a jalapeño plant increase capsaicin in the right growing conditions?

Texas
One of the last big gardens I grew, I bought some jalapeño plants that were labeled as producing mild heat pods. It was only a small amount of plants and had a nice area set aside to transplant them. By early fall they started really producing heavily. The plants looked healthy with thick stems and almost dark green leaves. I’m not an expert or consumer of super hot peppers , so I have no idea how hot these would’ve ranked. But they were much hotter than any jalapeño I’ve grown or purchased anywhere.

I couldn’t eat them at all they were that bitter hot. There was a bumper crop that year and didn’t want the peppers to go to waste if somebody could tolerate and enjoy that kind of heat level. So I took a full bag to a friend so she could give them to some Hispanic people that she knew. Never heard back if they liked them or not and ended up taking a couple more bags a month or so later. When the friend called them this time again to see if they’d like some more, they told her that those peppers were so blistering hot that none of them could stand that level of heat either.

So I’m left wondering if the soil and weather that year had something to do with the heat level of those peppers increasing that much or what. I never saved the seeds because I sure didn’t want to grow any more of those innard scorching weapons of pain. LOL Never knew a jalapeño could be that hot. Something sure was different with those that’s all I know.

Edited by Pigpiggy 9/13/2021 17:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)