AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

the gps world continues to change
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

booked
Posted 5/30/2021 10:57 (#9033200)
Subject: the gps world continues to change

southern Minnesota
Well group i still have my shorts in a wad over this ITC and 6000 deere globe debacle.
Now i ordered a new 6000 in i believe late FEB and it is still not here. Now another dealer salesman is hinting that if you have not recieved it by now you can figure on next year. Unless you are a BTO and are doing a MUDD deal then YOU will be moved to the front of the line and will get your just ordered electronics. Now that aside. I have been doing a lots of reading about the governments GPS system and all the not to distant in the future changes that are to happen in the next few years. One just took place a few months ago and Deere used it to junk the old ITC. Well at least that is how i see it. But with all the changes coming it looks like all the other color manufatures of gps equipment will probably use deeres lead and a whole bunch of older equipment will just stop working. Here is a couple of paragraphs that i pulled from a military web sight. It mentions the new GPS 3 sats that are going up.

“SV05 is the third GPS III satellite shipped to the Cape in the last 14 months and marks a key step to our larger goal of GPS constellation modernization. As the fourth GPS III launch campaign with SpaceX, this NSSL mission is historic both for the first reflight of a Falcon 9 rocket and for being the 24th Military-Code (M-Code) satellite introduced to our constellation, the last needed to bring M-Code to full operational capability,” said Col. Edward Byrne, SMC’s Space Production Corps Medium Earth Orbit Space Systems Division chief.

Slated to launch in June 2021, GPS III SV05 will join the operational constellation of 31 GPS satellites, delivering enhanced performance and accuracy through a variety of improvements. Improvement highlights include increased signal protection, L1C signal interoperability, and the newest civilian signal, L5. As a crucial technological foundation for internet, financial, transportation, and agricultural operations, GPS delivers the gold standard in positioning, navigation, and timing services supporting U.S. and allied operations worldwide.

Now the new system sounds just peachy but what happens in a few years to the old WAAS system that my older colored systems like ag leader and outback use do i just figure on these just end up on a dusty shelf useless? How about the new 6000 that is on order i asked a deere dude that should know if the globe will update in the future to the newer frequencys but he had no clue. Hate to pay 3895 for a globe with only about a 4 year life expectancy. What about all the 1000's of GPS cab top speed pucks will they also just turn to scrap? Plenty of guys on here and other sights i read predicting MUCH cheaper RTK capable equipment right around the corner that could cost way less that 1 new deere 6000 globe with no UNLOCKS.
When we get to the newer systems in a few years the gps 3 sats are reported to carry much better electronics and much more signal power to possibly even penetrate buildings like i sad just peachy but at what cost? Will they support the OLD waas signals too? MAYBE?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)