AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grandfather clock issues.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Aussy Harold
Posted 5/27/2021 02:07 (#9026883)
Subject: Grandfather clock issues.

North East Wimmera district of Victoria.

G'day!

Friends have a grandfather clock. They are both in their 80's, and the man had a stroke many years ago, leaving him with no control or strength on his right side.

Somehow the clock weights and chains got off the sprag wheels, and were put back wrong - by whom I was not told!

I'm a mechanical sort of guy, so they asked if I could  "take a look"!   Happy to oblige, and with some careful work got the chains back in proper direction, so weights applied the 'power' for the timing pendulum, as well as the Westminster chime, and the hour strike gears.

As I lifted the tick/tock chain up through the inner workings, I noticed the pendulum hanger was dis-located. [At this point I did not have the pendulum on its hanger, and did not feel I should ask how the hanger got out of place!]

Before the pendulum was re-hung, I managed to get the pin that rocks the sprag gear back to where I could see that it should be, and surprise, surprise - the clock ticked away quite happily when the pendulum was hung and given a swing.

More to my surprise - it was still ticking evenly 20 minutes later, after we'd had a chat and a 'cuppa'.

Before I left, I asked about the chime, as there are two 'control' rods hanging down below the 'works' that move up and down about an inch - obviously turning some part of the chime off and on. They said not to worry about it - the chimes should be fine!

Saw them next day -  the grandfather was still ticking away, but had lost 10 minutes in 24 hrs. I said the pendulum needed shortening a turn or two, and the lady of the house reckoned she could manage that.   She told me the chimes were not working!

So - a question for NAT'ers!

Those two control rods. Does someone know if up is "Off"  - or is up "On"  ??

As you've most likely gathered - I'm totally surprised that it is ticking away happily, with and even tick and tock! [A YouTube I watched explained how it should be dead even, and how to adjust the hanger if it were not.]

Watched a couple of more You tube clips, explaining 1/4hr, 1/2 hr, 3/4 hr and full hour sequence gears, and getting the hands at the correct place on the dial for same, but they did not seem to inform me on the subject of On and Off.

As always - I wait with anticipation!  and Thanks!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)