AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bull calf castration gone wrong...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

chrisk1500
Posted 4/24/2009 23:52 (#692107)
Subject: Bull calf castration gone wrong...

Saskatchewan
Hey Guys,

We have been using Elastrator bands successfully to castrate cattle for years. We usually do it within the first week the calf is born.

I think I might have my first ever 'oops' using the bands. I think I may have missed one testicle on a bull calf. At the time I put the band on, I could have sworn that I had both (yes I can count to two) but now it looks as though one may have slipped out when I was taking the tool off. This calf fought a little and momma was staring me down so I got in a little bit of a hurry.

My question is this -

Once the scrotum and one nut fall off (should be within a few days from now) will it still be possible to do a full castration on the calf using a knife to cut the other testicle out from between his skin and his body?

I don't want a reputation of selling stags and I would like to send him to market instead of cutting him up for myself.

BTW - I don't want to get into a debate of cutting vs banding....I just want to know if it is possible to fix a banding error.

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Edited by chrisk1500 4/24/2009 23:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page
School Of Hard Knock
Posted 4/25/2009 00:07 (#692122 - in reply to #692107)
Subject: RE: Bull calf castration gone wrong...

just a tish NE of central ND
Maybe you counted to two and there was 3 ?
Had that happen also. Cut him when he gets bigger.
Roy@ranch
Posted 4/25/2009 01:26 (#692166 - in reply to #692107)

North Cental Mo.
Yepper, it can be done, welcome to my world. I also would wait until the calf get's bigger. And if your uncomfortable doing it, have a vet do it, cause it's going to be bloody.

Roy
chrisk1500
Posted 4/25/2009 20:58 (#692696 - in reply to #692107)
Subject: Re: Bull calf castration gone wrong...

Saskatchewan
Ok.

So make an incision in the skin that is directly covering the testicle, push it out and cut the cords, spray it with disinfectant and let him go?

Shouldn't have to stich it up should I?

Thanks for the help!

Chris
Roy@ranch
Posted 4/25/2009 21:04 (#692701 - in reply to #692696)

North Cental Mo.
Will depend on if it's a complete miss, or a half band. The half bands will have scar tissue, and won't be that easy.

Roy
chrisk1500
Posted 4/25/2009 21:09 (#692705 - in reply to #692701)

Saskatchewan
So, if complete miss --> an incision and a push

If a half band --> a pain in the ass incision and a push

Roy@ranch
Posted 4/25/2009 21:25 (#692720 - in reply to #692705)

North Cental Mo.
Pretty much.

my edit. A total miss will still be a little prickly, because the nut is going to be sucked up. Knife and a lot of working on the abdomen will usually make it show up, but it's more tolerable than the half thing. Good luck in whatever you try or do, if I was up there I'd do it for ya.

Roy

Edited by Roy@ranch 4/25/2009 21:28
NEIndiana
Posted 4/25/2009 21:44 (#692747 - in reply to #692720)

Columbia City, Indiana
Sounds like a heck of a job... no wonder so many guys like to cut instead of use bands! One time a guy who cuts told me he liked that better, cause if he saw the nut laying on the ground, he knew it was a steer!
Roy@ranch
Posted 4/25/2009 22:02 (#692761 - in reply to #692747)

North Cental Mo.
You just dive in, take your time and do it, it's not precision by any means.

Roy
Jim
Posted 4/25/2009 22:39 (#692813 - in reply to #692747)
Subject: cleaning up...

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Cleaning up. Cut at avg 90 days old.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 4/25/2009 23:56

(Cleaning up 071208_IMG_0924.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Cleaning up 071208_IMG_0924.JPG (86KB - 411 downloads)
Roy@ranch
Posted 4/26/2009 05:40 (#693001 - in reply to #692813)
Subject: RE: cleaning up...

North Cental Mo.
Do you save them and eat them Jim? We never save any, but I have ate them, and they are quite tasty.

Roy
tate_bxl
Posted 4/26/2009 13:01 (#693404 - in reply to #693001)

Savage, Montana
you guys need to come to a montana branding if you want to eat rockey mountain oysters they way there were intended to be eaten. cut off the calf and when they are still warm from the body you throw them on the branding fire and cook them strings and all. pretty tasty with some bar-bq sauce. and there are a lot eaten when about 500 calves are wrested and branded in one day.
NEIndiana
Posted 4/26/2009 21:05 (#693913 - in reply to #693404)

Columbia City, Indiana
No way I would eat those things!
Roy@ranch
Posted 4/26/2009 21:28 (#693962 - in reply to #693913)

North Cental Mo.
Why not?,,, just the thought of it? We used to eat turkey fries, had a salebarn just east of here that used to have brain sandwhiches. Now granted I never did eat one of those, but if it was put in front of me I'd have ate it, they tell me it's just like eating a pork tenderloin.

Roy
NEIndiana
Posted 4/26/2009 21:41 (#693993 - in reply to #693962)

Columbia City, Indiana
Just the thought, and I would probably be easily persuaded to at least try a bite. When I was a kid, we had hogs, and one day were were cutting them and throwing the nuts on the ground when my mom's uncle showed up. "Whoooooooooaaa, THEM'S GOOD EATIN'!" he yelled. So every time after that, we'd fill a bucket half full with water and throw the nuts in there and take them to him. He would lay them out on a sheet of plywood and salt them, I think, to let them cure or something like that. One time he had a buddy in his garage who was known to eat raw meat as a gag. This guy pointed at the nuts and announced that they were good raw, then he grabbed one and sucked it down like an oyster, just to be gross, I think.
Markwright
Posted 4/26/2009 21:31 (#693970 - in reply to #693913)
Subject: Re: Bull calf castration gone wrong...Just like lobster only

New Mexico
better.

Roy@ranch
Posted 4/27/2009 03:27 (#694312 - in reply to #693404)

North Cental Mo.
I don't know why, but I had it in my head you cooked them in a deep fat fryer.

Roy
ss@WC Iowa
Posted 4/28/2009 04:46 (#695454 - in reply to #694312)

Coon Rapids,Iowa
Best way to cook Rocky Mountain Oysters: After you skin 'em, soak in saltwater for a few hours,then rinse with fresh water, then put in baggies & freeze them for later use if desired. When you are ready to eat them, thaw 'em out, slice 'em up a little, roll'em first in milk, then in beat up eggs, then in seasoned flour(just mix in a little salt & pepper), then in crushed up cracker crumbs & cornflakes. Brown in a frying pan, then put in a roaster for a couple of hours, bring out the beer & a loaf of bread & have yourself a feast! Might sound gross to some, but if you have ever tasted them, you will never believe where they came from.
P.S. You may not want to overindulge, as they have a tendency to loosen up your bowels.

The fresh ones on the branding fire sound great also. I hope I get a chance to try that sometime, but here in Iowa, we don't have the roundups like you good old boys out West.

Steve
chrisk1500
Posted 4/25/2009 22:04 (#692765 - in reply to #692107)

Saskatchewan
Thanks Roy - appreciate it!
PeteMN
Posted 4/26/2009 13:19 (#693417 - in reply to #692107)

E.Central MN
That stuff happens. You can fix it. A friend of ours bought a small group of feeders at the local sales barn. He didn't look at them close because he got there late and just watched them come in the ring. They called them steers, well, one still had its testicles in full view. So they said the rest are steers. He bought them, found that all the rest were one-nutters. He 0000ed to the auctioneer. The next week was sitting in the cafe and the second auctioneer was saying they banned the guy from the sales barn. I said "Yeah, why let the guy bring that stuff here and call them steers?" I wouldn't tolerate that either. No, No, they banned the guy that bought them...priceless.....Didn't matter as he wasn't going to buy anything there again anyway.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)