AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

custom swathing wheat for hay?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

beh
Posted 3/2/2009 01:29 (#628433)
Subject: custom swathing wheat for hay?

Heil Harvesting, Ulysses KS/Limon CO
The ideas are starting to float in my head as the reality is setting in that the South Plains harvest will be bleak at best. While wheat has nine lives, I have an idea that we have expired eight and half of them, especially in the Western half of the Texas Panhandle.

The idea of adding custom swathing to our operation is something that we have kicked around quite a bit. We have the work for swathers in the late summer and fall, swathing small grains and millet, wondering if this year might be the year to jump?

With the current drought conditions and the resulting lack of pasture and lack of a good wheat crop and demand for grains being in the dumps will there be a significant chunk of the wheat on the southern plains made to hay?

In your opinion what is the optimal swath width for bailing 10-30 bushel wheat?

How important is a crimper?

How will the insurance program, RA particularly play into releasing these acres to be hayed?

I am in the early investigation of all this, obviously, any opinions would be appreciated.

I have found a couple real well valued MacDon tractors (a 9000 and a 9352i), would like to push 30 or 36 foot draper(s). Also have a crimper located that could be picked up really cheap, however it came off a burned machine and would need some work.

The dairy business seems to be relatively dead, initially my thought was to work for a dairy in front of an ensilage chopper, but with $10 cwt milk and the stories of choppers still waiting on money from last falls corn, I am timid, to say the least...

I am not looking to get rich at this, but if we could significantly subsidize the initial purchase of a swather with work this spring to have them for fall work, I think it is worth considering...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dakota
Posted 3/2/2009 07:28 (#628486 - in reply to #628433)
Subject: RE: custom swathing wheat for hay?

SC North Dakota
I cut with a 22' swather. No crimper. Windrows are so big it leaves a little on the sides when baling with a 567. Could get a wider pickup I guess but worked best to let lay for a week and then bale. This was on hailed on wheat. Had no problem selling the crop. Had the RA and there was no trouble with the adjuster releasing the wheat. My cows clean up the wheat real well and very little straw is left. hth
KansTut
Posted 3/2/2009 09:08 (#628594 - in reply to #628486)
Subject: Re: custom swathing wheat for hay?

NW Kansas
If you are just doing wheat , a draper head would work fine . but for most anything else an auger header is recommended. Grass hay is too tough for a long sickle,and any cane hay needs crimped. A nice self propelled swather will require at least a 7000 dollar payment .The repairs can be a major expense and it takes a while to get over many acres ,so your profit can be small for the time and money invested. My point is to get the baling along with the jobs to try to come out OK.
tmrand
Posted 3/2/2009 09:53 (#628668 - in reply to #628433)

Southeast Colorado
I run a 9000 MacDon swather and it performs amazinly well. It doesn't have the creature comforts of the 9352 (I'd love to move up) but I think it will push the header just about as well. We bought a 06 model 922 16' auger head after we wore the original out and it is a great combination for the money. I don't have a lot of experience with wheat hay but I have baled some behind a draper swather and I was surprised how long it took it to dry down. About 10 days here in our arid climate but I'm sure a lot of factors (temp,humidity,wind) will vary that. I would like to compare the crimper head someday. I would think it would help. We have swathed oats a couple of times with our crimper head and they were ready 3 to 4 days later. If you get that straw rained on it will deteriorate and discolor almost immediately. A few days can make all of the difference in the quality of hay put up. How many $$ for the swathers? I do have the original 920 head for sale cheap if you are handy and wanted to rebuild it. I agree with you on this wheat although a rain in the next couple of weeks could do wonders. I planted real thin last year since I knew we would get a good stand and mine still looks pretty good. The thicker wheat is getting pretty brown! Grazing has seemed to help too but we are losing money on the cattle. Oh well, it's only money!
Big Blue
Posted 3/2/2009 10:51 (#628735 - in reply to #628433)
Subject: Way OT...

WC SK
I was always under the impression that it was only us Canadians that called them swathers. Any American advertising I have ever seen they call them windrowers.

All of you guys are calling them swathers, so who calls them windrowers?

BB
tmrand
Posted 3/2/2009 23:46 (#629686 - in reply to #628735)
Subject: can't answer your question but....

Southeast Colorado
I always called them swathers. I think the first time I heard of windrower I thought that maybe that's what they called those rotary knife machines that don't have a reel.
silagehauler
Posted 3/3/2009 00:33 (#629744 - in reply to #629686)

Always called them swathers here. Some of the old guys still call them windrowers, but mostly swathers it what they get called. Swathers with a the little knife disc thing usually get called rotary swathers or disc swathers. Good ol' regular swathers are mostly swathers or maybe auger heads or sickle heads. Then we have draper swathers,
beh
Posted 3/3/2009 01:51 (#629787 - in reply to #628735)
Subject: You bring up an intersting thought

Heil Harvesting, Ulysses KS/Limon CO
And I have no clue how to answer it. Or maybe it has something to do with the age of the machine?

We use the terms synonymously...
swne
Posted 3/2/2009 11:22 (#628768 - in reply to #628433)

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
With thin 10 to 30 bu. wheat I would try to get it swathed into 30 to 36' windrows. A crimper would be a good idea but may not be absolutely necessary in drier climates.
You will need to let the insurance agent know ahead of time before swathing the wheat and you also need to let the FSA office know before a crop is to be destroyed. The crop has to be appraised before swathing or you will be required to leave a few srips across the field. No big deal, usually a couple of strips 10' wide the length of the field is enough.
Wheat hay makes extremely good feed. Best time to swath is at boot stage just prior to the heads comming out. If the heads are out they mature pretty fast and the beards can cause feeding problems, ie, the little beards will stick inside the cattles mouth and cause infection. As long they are soft there is no problem. This can happen even with ground hay.

Edited by swne 3/2/2009 11:33
School Of Hard Knock
Posted 3/2/2009 21:17 (#629430 - in reply to #628433)
Subject: RE: custom swathing wheat for hay?

just a tish NE of central ND
No help here on you question, but must comment that I had a few acres of winter wheat that hailed out just as the heads were forming..We hayed it.There are no real kernals in it and what was there is is shrunken up beyond recognizing., but heads, chaff/leaves/ with beards are all there. It isnt even all that green because of waiting for the adjusters to get their paper work together. The cattle absolutly loved that stuff. They would clean it up like it was silage in the feeders.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)