AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What garmin do I want
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

260david437
Posted 1/5/2019 09:34 (#7221681)
Subject: What garmin do I want

north east IN
I have a nuvi 250 that I really like but would like one with traffic alert so what one do you recommend I get. I was looking at the 61 but the reviews are not very good

Edited by 260david437 1/5/2019 09:44

(0EA4C490-6677-47C1-8061-C8D2DC1DA01B (full).png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 0EA4C490-6677-47C1-8061-C8D2DC1DA01B (full).png (156KB - 45 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TheBonePile
Posted 1/5/2019 09:47 (#7221714 - in reply to #7221681)
Subject: RE: What garmin do I want

Southeast South Dakota
I dont know how old of vehicles you drive or what kind of phones you use, but google maps on android phone is free and pretty tough to beat - auto traffic everything....

And with newer cars and android auto, you can put your phone screen on the display, so covered there also

I like to have something that is different than what everyone else has so I use "Here" on my android phone - and I download the areas where traveling so I don't need cellular service to navigate

md.mcwill
Posted 1/5/2019 10:07 (#7221762 - in reply to #7221681)

I would buy another Garmin when my Garmin gives up the ghost or when I go on a long trip. I have google maps on a smartphone. I would just rather have a dedicated gps and let the phone find places to eat or other things. Yes I would download maps, too.

I have been looking to upgrade our Garmin but have not really found one that is better than our 5-6 year old top of the line Garmin.

When you find one, I would like you to put what you purchased and why. The garmin.com site has a comparision tool for all the gps garmins. I have found that it is hard to find but keep after it. I have thought of purchasing the Garmin with the camera in it. I may by a dedicated front and back camera system for the two vehicles.

I have had Garmins since the second one that came out. Simple to use and last a long time.

Galaxie64
Posted 1/5/2019 11:29 (#7221953 - in reply to #7221681)

WY, OK
I use the Waze app for traffic alerts and have a cheap Garmin nuvi for nav. I'd imagine anything with a traffic alert function is going to require a subscription. I know my Sirius/XM travel link is a subscription after the 5 year freebie wears off. It has complete States it doesn't even work in, not sure how they get their info.
Aaron SEIA
Posted 1/5/2019 11:50 (#7222006 - in reply to #7221681)

Not what you asked, but Google Maps is as good as it gets. I can search for places to eat or get gas, hotels, site seeing stops, stores, etc. All from my phone. Not to be rude, but why go with a Garmin VS an app like Google Maps?
AaronSEIA
pat-michigan
Posted 1/5/2019 11:58 (#7222028 - in reply to #7221681)

Thumb of Michigan
I bought that same unit as you listed a couple weeks ago. Replaced an old Nuvi. Liked the Nuvi just fine, but the update cost more than the unit did. Guess the new one is OK, its a lot larger unit than the Nuvi. May or may not be a problem I guess. I looked on a few sites and found myself more confused the longer I looked, which isn't really tough to do.

I've used my phone a few times for navigation, I didn't care for it when driving. Smaller screen, think mine uses data when using it for navigation, and I travel a number of places with poor or no phone service. Biggest reason for replacing my Nuvi was for navigation on a trip I'm taking next week, be renting a car. Took the same trip last year, old Nuvi was lost most of the time- too many new developments since it was made route wise.

Anyway, with the limited amount of use I've had with the new one, it does everything I want it to do. No complaints.
JimmyP
Posted 1/5/2019 17:31 (#7222716 - in reply to #7221681)

Lancaster, OH
I have a nuvi that I've had for about 7 years and it has traffic alert. It is not always accurate but it is better than flying blind.

What I really like about the Garmin vs. using my phone is that I can save the locations so that when I'm traveling in Michigan or Illinois or Maryland, if I've been there, I've saved it and just look it up and go.

Also, no data charges.

Edited by JimmyP 1/5/2019 17:33
md.mcwill
Posted 1/6/2019 07:18 (#7223805 - in reply to #7222716)

Agree 100% on your usage of the Nuvi. I think it is better to have at least two ways finding your way around. The Garmin and the smartphone are two methods.

From above, yes your smartphone uses data unless you download the google maps to your phone. Then some older smartphones took forever to find the gps signal and use it for traveling.

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)