AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any advice on traveling to Costa Rica?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

MEJ
Posted 1/3/2019 20:10 (#7218444)
Subject: Any advice on traveling to Costa Rica?

Manitoba
My wife and I are planning a trip to Costa Rica. We had received info quite a while ago from a friend of a friend but have since lost that email. What I do remember is that they rented privately owned places. We've looked on VRBO.com and have found a number of interesting looking places. We are some what adventurous (for sure not lay on the beach all day types) but some of them look fairly remote. Not that close to the coast. Beautiful scenery but looks like mostly jungle around them. We'd love that but nice to see small towns and cities too. Any of you have advice for Costa Rica?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
swne
Posted 1/3/2019 20:18 (#7218469 - in reply to #7218444)
Subject: RE: Any advice on traveling to Costa Rica?

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
Last time we were there GPS devices do not work. Costa Rica is a strange place in that regard. They don't really have addresses. They go by landmarks. They deliver their mail that way too. Or so I was told. Natives just know how to get around.
I think the west side is more interesting. More warm and humid on the east side. It is a beautiful country and pretty safe.
Tomcat
Posted 1/3/2019 20:26 (#7218493 - in reply to #7218444)

Ludington/Manistee MI area
Go someplace else. Went there 3 years ago wasn’t blown away.
fezman
Posted 1/3/2019 20:45 (#7218561 - in reply to #7218493)

First time we went there, took a Caravan tour. Great way to see the country without having to drive. It is a country, and not an island. Is not easy to take it in all in one trip. The Caribbean coast is quite different than the pacific coast. Caribbean wetter and greener this time of year. Guanacaste is very hot and dry this time of year. The central part of the country is cooler and more mountainous, volcanic. It is a great country with great people, plenty to do and see, but do your homework and tailor your trip to what you like
Lucky2Farm
Posted 1/3/2019 20:55 (#7218593 - in reply to #7218444)

Indianola, MS
The fishing is incredible. Pacific side and Caribbean both. I'd stay at a really nice hotel if it were me and the wife, you would not save money unless you had other people with you to split rental car and condo up. Its not crazy expensive like here to be taken care of nicely and if you read reviews of places you'll find a lot of places work hard for you to enjoy your stay. I've rented a car and an apartment there and also had a nice room at a small hotel that arranged for hotel pickup. I'd go for a hotel pickup at airport and let them take care of you. Costa Ricans are awesome and you are working unnecessarily to do anything on your own there. I know a guy who guides out of Herradura bay $1000 for full day on an old hatteras larger boat or $750 on his center console. Los Suenos Marina has a Marriott. Sailfish, tuna, marlin, mahi, and I have no idea what we were getting when we bottom fished. I just know we had 3 hooks and as soon as it hit bottom we reeled up 400 feet of line and always had 3 fish with eyes popped out from pressure change. We have seen orcas, sea turtles and a mega pod of dolphins we fished in one day was incredible. Tuna on the line and 10,000 dolphins jumping. Oh and Roosterfish !! First time we fished there we caught nothing on a near shore 1/2 day then literally in the bay entrance we hooked a Roosterfish that was within 15lbs of a record. They catch and release strictly. Buddy caught a Mahi and it too was 10-12lbs away from a record. You can keep and eat Mahi, it was fantastic.

That being said I am bee lined to the beaches of rural Mal Pais. Its a Unesco blue zone. Area where average lifespan is really high. Lots of 100 year old people there. Probably need a rental to get out there.

edit to add the ATV tours are epic! and they are all over the place but go to a place and visually inspect atv. I prepaid thru hotel and got a crap atv. If you are there you look before you pay. I got a brand new honda dirtbike once, the tour guides ask what sort of things you want to do. They'll take you up in the mountains to stuff you'd never EVER find

Edited by Lucky2Farm 1/3/2019 21:06
buck owens
Posted 1/3/2019 21:13 (#7218648 - in reply to #7218444)

provost, AB
Go for the weather, come home with Zika virus. I don't think so.
willvr
Posted 1/3/2019 21:13 (#7218649 - in reply to #7218444)

Bow Island, Alberta
We were there with 3 kids about 6 years ago. Everyone had a great time. We started from San Jose, going to Tortuguaro. Travel there was included in the package. From there we took InterBus for the next few moves. I assume it's still operating. They had vans that operated like a cross between a taxi and tour bus. We booked in advance, and they pick you up anywhere and drop you off at your next hotel. For the last leg, from Tamarindo back to San Jose, we rented a car. Just like many countries, don't drive in the dark on unfamiliar roads, especially in the mountains.
SilverClayON
Posted 1/3/2019 21:36 (#7218727 - in reply to #7218444)

SW Ontario
Went there 10 years ago on a university trip. Beer was real cheap and weather was incredible. The irazu volcano area was a real neat place with some spectacular views and lots of diverse agriculture. Some crazy roads and drivers going through the interior of the country. Turrialba was a nice little area with a bunch of small dairies. From what I recall it was jaco that had a bunch of hotels/beaches and a lot of tourists.
mike in sw mn
Posted 1/3/2019 21:47 (#7218757 - in reply to #7218444)

Walnut Grove MN USA
I’ve never been there and doubt I could ever talk the wife into it but my tax accountant goes frequently. He was telling me about it a couple weeks ago. He says do not change your money to theirs. They love the dollar and you will lose a good chunk converting to theirs and back again. He loves it there and he has been to a lot of places. Also made it quite clear to not cross the border as the natives say bad people over there.
farming247
Posted 1/3/2019 23:07 (#7218939 - in reply to #7218757)

western mn
mike in sw mn - 1/3/2019 20:47

Also made it quite clear to not cross the border as the natives say bad people over there.

are they referring to the border with Nicaragua? I was in Nicaragua two years ago and never felt threatened once. Seem like a really nice country and the American dollar went along ways
Ted1488
Posted 1/3/2019 23:59 (#7218979 - in reply to #7218444)

United States of America
After seeing that nice American girl murdered in Costa Rica, I think I can find plenty of places to go in the good old US of A.
redoak
Posted 1/4/2019 06:09 (#7219077 - in reply to #7218979)

sw ontario
When we went crossing the border at Detroit to get to airport the US border police says"you know that is a dangerous,third world country"...Hmmmm and I should feel safer as I am in downtown Detroit at 4 am......fwiw we stayed at new RIU (there is 2 besdie each other ) room 0001 , did tours were they said there is no crime but for some reason all the windows & doors have metal bars across them---we flew into Liberia airport....I would not want to rent & car and explore on my own...lot's of guided tours....In Feb. it was pretty brown/dry on ocean side....if its your thing lot's of gators,snakes,monkeys in rainforest & you can tour Del Monte ,ect. farms
ozzymydog
Posted 1/4/2019 09:26 (#7219464 - in reply to #7219077)

Been there several times and love it. Stayed in plya delcoco and rent golf carts. Lots to see and do.vrbo condo at Pacifico is an awesome place to stay and have also done VRBO with in the town witch works good if you have a larger group. Honestly would stay at pacifico when I go back because it is a resort setting for pool side service and a nice beach side club with pool and resteraunt but also have your own condo for meals and drinks.
bb940p
Posted 1/4/2019 18:10 (#7220421 - in reply to #7218444)

se wi
Tamarindo...that's the place....like!
BurkFarms
Posted 1/5/2019 11:01 (#7221897 - in reply to #7220421)

East Central Indiana
I’d go somewhere else too.
We went a few years ago and I wasn’t impressed with anything.
We are big fans of Jamaica
Lalovilla
Posted 1/5/2019 11:23 (#7221939 - in reply to #7221897)

Alberta Canada
If your not into beaches that much and want to see more rainforest and volcanoes La Fortuna is a nice little village with great resorts and hot springs everywhere.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)