AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pro farmer tour thoughts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Centuryfarm
Posted 8/22/2017 10:11 (#6202982)
Subject: Pro farmer tour thoughts

One glaring trend I have been noticing is the lack of pods on beans during all yield checks. We are talking 200-300 pods per check. These areas should be seeing better results from the better weather during beans key reproductive stages. The Dakotas and Nebraska have been getting rain lately that Iowa hasn't. One key change has been on all acres this year--Dicamba. I believe we are witnessing huge pod and flower abortions after all the extend has been sprayed. On the dicamba resistant beans we are seeing natural yield that monsatan has claimed was breed out. Either way there is a freight train coming down the tracks with these results.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dg25
Posted 8/22/2017 10:53 (#6203056 - in reply to #6202982)
Subject: RE: Pro farmer tour thoughts

Northwest IL
Agree and on corn were are big yields from irrigated fields in Nebraska?
Centuryfarm
Posted 8/22/2017 11:10 (#6203081 - in reply to #6203056)

Nebraska has had the rain iowa hasn't had. They also irrigate if needed. Iowa is going to be a shock thinking they will pick up yield.
ryank
Posted 8/22/2017 12:10 (#6203166 - in reply to #6203056)

SE Nebraska
There will some great irrigated corn yields this year...there always are. But from what I've seen the phenomenal border to border irrigated corn yields won't be happening this year. Maybe similar to last year's irrigated disappointment. Probably not quite as bad as last year though, because we don't have the "events" we had last year such as 0801 blowing up
dalobe01
Posted 8/22/2017 14:12 (#6203321 - in reply to #6203166)

David Loberg Northeast Nebraska
I'm stumped on our irrigated yields. We have some that will be 260 but, and some that will be 190. The outer part of the field looks good, but you get to the interior the ear size decreases. If the heat earlier in summer stressed it, as heat settled in field at night? Usually irrigation keeps the crop cooler though, so scratching head on that. The other thing is the rains were so spotty. There is a 8" difference in rainfall in 15 miles. We have dryland that will do 0 to 220. I know every acre of ours, and trying to figure an average yield at this point feels like throwing a dart at a wall. It's hard to put much stock in a yield tour of Nebraska this year.
Tileman2
Posted 8/22/2017 12:35 (#6203207 - in reply to #6202982)

NW IN
Interesting theory. I had some Dicamba drift (not volatization, full on drift) and it couldn't have happened at a more inopportune time - going into a hot, dry stretch over the last two weeks.

I noticed the pods that were present on the top 2 or 3 nodes curled up (many have fallen off) and those nodes didn't put any new flowers on (admittedly, it was hot and dry on sandy, droughthy soil).

Got the first measurable rain in 18 days last night. Will be interesting to see if any new growth/flowers develop.
antler
Posted 8/22/2017 13:27 (#6203268 - in reply to #6202982)

North Central IL
Low yields being tweeted by the tour today.
doathlon
Posted 8/22/2017 17:42 (#6203638 - in reply to #6202982)

Centuryfarm - 8/22/2017 10:11

One glaring trend I have been noticing is the lack of pods on beans during all yield checks. We are talking 200-300 pods per check. These areas should be seeing better results from the better weather during beans key reproductive stages. The Dakotas and Nebraska have been getting rain lately that Iowa hasn't. One key change has been on all acres this year--Dicamba. I believe we are witnessing huge pod and flower abortions after all the extend has been sprayed. On the dicamba resistant beans we are seeing natural yield that monsatan has claimed was breed out. Either way there is a freight train coming down the tracks with these results.

While I love to blame dicamba I instead blame the weather in May. It slowed corn growth and held back soybean emergence by at least 10 days. Corn is on schedule with maturity but I bet most of the soybeans in iowa and Nebraska are 10-14 days behind
SDnotiller
Posted 8/23/2017 08:51 (#6205086 - in reply to #6202982)

Central South Dakota
Pod counts here in dicamba affected beans are half of their unaffected brothers, just what I'm seeing here
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)