AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lily livered trouser trout.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

5 Head
Posted 8/21/2017 14:59 (#6201171)
Subject: Lily livered trouser trout.

South West MN
Seems like everyone on this page is a bunch of pessimists with no clue about the markets. Every once in a while Ray will post something informative. Personally I have no clue about the market either.

Like it or not the USDA is right, right now. Complaining about them will do you no good. Need a new outlook on life.

So is anyone trying something else next year. Personally a have a few things other than corn and soybeans up my sleeves. One of them involves this auction special.

So what is your soy/corn alternative?

Dad always said "you won't get rich waiting for someone to die"

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (131KB - 32 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Posted 8/21/2017 15:35 (#6201220 - in reply to #6201171)
Subject: RE: New York is making a push on ....

Death comes to us all. Life's but a walking shadow
New York is making a push on industrial hemp. They are setting up to extract medicinal compounds to compete with medicinal marijuana. They brought in 50,000 lbs of seed to get some acres planted. My neighbor set out 10 A's of chestnuts. If they take off, we have lots & lots of $1000/A land with soils that can grow 160 bushel corn but are too steep to farm. If that gets going I can easily see that taking up some of this abandon dairy farmland.
The way I look at it, so what that you're not farming 2000 acres it's the bottom line that counts. If you can make a good living from 40 A's or 100 A's growing tree fruits or medicinals what's the difference.
thereaper
Posted 8/21/2017 16:36 (#6201347 - in reply to #6201220)

Ol’ Wisco
Talked to one guy who has a 50 acre orchard and farms a few hundred acres. Said between expenses and labor he figures the orchard to be the equivalent of farming 2-3k acres.
blowsand
Posted 8/21/2017 18:09 (#6201517 - in reply to #6201347)

mercer county, il
Hopefully not alfalfa, don't wanna see that market get depressed any more

but the upshot is that alfalfa looks to pay better here than anything else this year, and it is on our poorest ground by a long shot

but that having been said, 2 years ago there were going to be lots more hay producers around here, apparently the labor/time involved and the skill or art of making dairy quality hay did not work out, just about the only time I recall alfalfa seeded for only one year or two then going back to corn
5 Head
Posted 8/21/2017 20:55 (#6202036 - in reply to #6201517)

South West MN
I was selling alfalfa up to 2 years ago, then the price got so low I decided it was not worth selling and fed it.
Bruised Spud
Posted 8/21/2017 22:37 (#6202345 - in reply to #6201220)

Chaffee, Western New York
1234 - 8/21/2017 16:35

New York is making a push on industrial hemp. They are setting up to extract medicinal compounds to compete with medicinal marijuana. They brought in 50,000 lbs of seed to get some acres planted. My neighbor set out 10 A's of chestnuts. If they take off, we have lots & lots of $1000/A land with soils that can grow 160 bushel corn but are too steep to farm. If that gets going I can easily see that taking up some of this abandon dairy farmland.
The way I look at it, so what that you're not farming 2000 acres it's the bottom line that counts. If you can make a good living from 40 A's or 100 A's growing tree fruits or medicinals what's the difference.

The hemp deal must be for "Insiders" as there has been very little in the circles I travel. If you know something, I'd appreciate an email.

Chestnuts and hazelnut are enterprises I'm interested in. Maple syrup is something I'll probably go back into. Some guys did plant maple trees on some steep stuff but the return is liftetimes away.

Growing good clean cover crop seed will get a few acres next year. Grandfather had started setting up a small fanning mill.

cynic
Posted 8/21/2017 18:34 (#6201581 - in reply to #6201171)
Subject: RE: Ah ha!

A Minnesota boy going into the buffer seeding business to comply with our governor's ingenious plan to clean up the state's water?
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)