AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Whats a 500 Gallon propane tank worth ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

farmer01
Posted 10/29/2008 23:59 (#493832)
Subject: Whats a 500 Gallon propane tank worth ?

Jackson County....... Southwest Minnesota
Have a used 500 gallon LP tank about 30 years old I would guess.... whats a fair price to ask for it ?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sri
Posted 10/30/2008 00:02 (#493836 - in reply to #493832)
Subject: RE: Whats a 500 Gallon propane tank worth ?

nw pa
 in decent shape with taggs around 4 to 5 hundred
Delmarva Ag
Posted 10/30/2008 00:03 (#493839 - in reply to #493832)

Seaford, Delaware
I would be afraid to sell it due to liability concerns. If you look closely it will be stamped with an inspection date. I believe they have to be inspected every 10 years. One of my fuel jobbers scraps them after 20 years due to the costs of testing.

Alan
Delmarva Ag
Posted 10/30/2008 00:10 (#493842 - in reply to #493839)

Seaford, Delaware
The inspection tag should be stamped with the following information:

Serial #
Working Pressure
Year Built
Water Capacity
ASME Code Symbol

If the tag is missing, or the tank is not stamped, the tank is considered "dead" and illegal to fill with propane. I understand they are in big demand if you have any meth labs in your area! LOL

Alan
School Of Hard Knock
Posted 10/30/2008 04:25 (#493900 - in reply to #493842)

just a tish NE of central ND
Delmarva Ag - 10/30/2008 00:10

The inspection tag should be stamped with the following information:

Serial #
Working Pressure
Year Built
Water Capacity
ASME Code Symbol

If the tag is missing, or the tank is not stamped, the tank is considered "dead" and illegal to fill with propane. I understand they are in big demand if you have any meth labs in your area! LOL

Alan

What does a meth head do with a 500 gallon propane tank?
Also, what does one do with a scrap propane tank? I doubt a scrap dealer would take it unless it is cut up and cut open.I supose you could fill it with water and cut it open starting at the top??
iafarmerken
Posted 10/30/2008 06:06 (#493920 - in reply to #493900)
Subject: Re: Whats a 500 Gallon propane tank worth ?

Western Iowa
I have converted them into diesel fuel tanks. If the valve holes aren't big enough, fill with water and cut a bigger ones. Weld a ez fill cap on and use the liquid withdrawl hole on the tank to mount your pump. Put a fresh coat of paint on and you're done. The propane gauge even works with diesel!
Mike SE IL
Posted 10/30/2008 07:36 (#493952 - in reply to #493839)

West Union, Illinois

Delmarva Ag - I would be afraid to sell it due to liability concerns.
That should not be an issue unless you did something stupid like try and hide a problem.

A 500 gallon tank will not have an inspection date. It will have a manufacturing date.  Properly maintained they are good indefinitely.  DOT containers, like a BBQ grill tank, or even a 420# stationary tank must be inspected.  I think it is after 11 years then every 5.

You say one of you fuel jobbers scraps them after 20 years?  Maybe 100# cylinders, but not a 500.  If he can afford to junl them after 20 years he's making way too much money Innocent

The only worry about meth heads and a 500 would be their thinking (OK, so thinking and meth heads don't fit in the same sentence) it was an NH3 tank and trying to get product out of it.

The only other caveat about an old tank has to do with valves.  There was a valve setup where everythingcame off one stem out of the tank.  It worked well, zillions still out there.  But one particular model has parts no longer available. And I have been away from day to day service long enough I forget exactly which one it is.  It has to do with a valve insert being left handed thread instead of right handed, or maybe vice-versa.

John SD
Posted 10/30/2008 07:58 (#493974 - in reply to #493952)
Subject: Mike, what about end-fill tanks?

Maybe I'm all wet but somehow I had the idea that they were not PC anymore and could not be sold. Seems they only make top-fill tanks nowdays.

I have a Butler Blue Bell end fill of 1950 vintage and a 1973 top fill which was purchased new. I guess both of these are over the 20 yr limit LOL!

Yesterday propane delivered here was $1.49 which I thought was as reasonable as it will probably get. I should be good to go until March now.

Edited by John SD 10/30/2008 08:02
Fred
Posted 10/30/2008 08:13 (#493982 - in reply to #493832)

south east SD
Talked to the LP man the other day about a tank for a neighbor. He said he had some $400 tanks that he hated to sell as they fill so slow. The better tanks were $600 all 500 gallons and used. And as far as old tanks go the one at my house has been there since before I was born and was moved once and they drained cleaned and put on a new regulator and hooked to my house again. I think it was a 1950 tank but I can look later. I'm burning $2.00 dryer gas till my contract runs out then it will be cheaper.
Mike Shimek
Posted 10/30/2008 08:22 (#493984 - in reply to #493832)

High Springs, Florida
Down south here, old propane tanks become BBQ cookers. I just made one out of 100# tanks. Most like the 500 gallon, but that's a lot of iron to heat up to cook a few chickens and ribs, at least for me.
jasonswmn
Posted 10/30/2008 08:38 (#493997 - in reply to #493832)

Wood Lake, MN
Just bought a used 1000 gal from my propane supplier $900
Buster 50
Posted 10/30/2008 08:43 (#494001 - in reply to #493832)

North West IA/western AZ
Looks like this is an area specific topic! I just sold one with a 1977 stamp on it for $600. The paint was scratched but no rust.
farmer01
Posted 10/30/2008 09:06 (#494016 - in reply to #493832)
Subject: RE: 1961 model

Jackson County....... Southwest Minnesota
Looks like its older than I thought tag says 1961 or 1967 its hard to read
gene_champ
Posted 10/30/2008 09:31 (#494026 - in reply to #493952)

NC Iowa
i have a 50's 500 gal tank for house. lp guy says it is hard to fill. tank will actually get warm while filling. helps some to hook up the vapor line. why would it fill harder that others. when i asked about using it for the corn dryer, he said the liquid line does not go all the way down.
wheat farmer
Posted 10/30/2008 10:09 (#494056 - in reply to #493832)

In this area they are bringing $300 - $400 at farm auctions.  If nothing else, take it to a neighboring auction and let them sell it.
agboy
Posted 10/30/2008 20:24 (#494290 - in reply to #493982)

Flandreau, SD

you mean you are honoring your contract?  You can't believe the people that call in and complain about gas that was contracted months ago.  might go back up as there are not enough trucks to haul it fast enough from the pipeline and heard the pipeline ain't keeping up either?

you with Koopman?  you tell them you got a better deal in Flandreau with me and see what he says.  Wink

Mike SE IL
Posted 10/30/2008 21:51 (#494382 - in reply to #493974)
Subject: RE: Mike, what about end-fill tanks?

West Union, Illinois

John SD - (RE: ...what about end-fill tanks?) ... I had the idea that they were not PC anymore and could not be sold. Seems they only make top-fill tanks nowdays.
I think top fill is all being made today, but nothing wrong with and old end-fill, just a bit harder to work with at times.  Nice thing about them is they are lower profile, so not as "visually intrusive".  I kind of like them myself.

One area of confusion has to do with "butane tanks".  There are some older tanks out there that are "200 # tanks" instead of the current rating.  They are still legal, just a bit of a problem.

Yesterday propane delivered here was $1.49
Dryer gas today was $1.94.  Prepaid contract gas was $2.20

Oh, and Gene said

i have a 50's 500 gal tank for house. lp guy says it is hard to fill. tank will actually get warm while filling. helps some to hook up the vapor line. why would it fill harder that others. when i asked about using it for the corn dryer, he said the liquid line does not go all the way down.
They discovered the idea of filling from the bottom (which is how a lot of older tanks were built) was not a good one.  The tank pressure's up quicker than a "spray fill".  And some tanks just fill hard. If I could figure out a quick and cheap fix I could probably make a lot of money.

On a lot of older tanks, especially the ones I mentioned with everything on one stem (the trademarked name was "Multivalve") , the fill fitting connected to a tube which went to near the bottom of the tank.  The theory was you could then use a special valve to pull liquid out of the fill valve if you needed to empty the tank.  Great theory, lousy practice. 

Oh, here is a photo of a tank I found interesting

Edited by Mike SE IL 10/30/2008 21:54

(Yellow Submarine 2 (Small).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Yellow Submarine 2 (Small).jpg (73KB - 807 downloads)
quad07
Posted 2/17/2011 20:30 (#1620110 - in reply to #493832)

I’m interested in your tank. $300 to $450 depending upon condition & location
Mike SE IL
Posted 2/17/2011 23:16 (#1620632 - in reply to #1620110)

West Union, Illinois

You must have been doing a Google search for propane tanks or something!  Look closely, the date on this thread is 2008.  I'm impressed you found it.

Oh, in answer to how did I find it, I do a quick search every day doe my active threads.  Since I commented in this one it came up as active this evening.

John SD
Posted 2/20/2011 11:12 (#1624503 - in reply to #1620632)

Same here Mike! I wondered what was going on since this thread has completely escaped my memory until now LOL!
Rudy045
Posted 4/17/2019 21:53 (#7445268 - in reply to #494382)

Mike,

I found your thread on a google search by accident, and yes, I’m a little late to the party!

I had a question regarding your post from 2008 about the Multivalve on older propane tanks. You seem very knowledgeable about tanks, so, I figured I ask you a question?

I have a 500 gallon tank that I got from a family friend, it was manufactured in 1955 and still in good condition, I’m installing heat in our garage and am in the process of making connections and having it filled.
It has an older Rego 2594 multivalve with a new service valve kit installed.
A local provider is trying to persuade me to change the multivalve to something more modern, the tank was last used three years ago. I’m questioning the need to change the valve and liquid check lock fitting and adding a newer style liquid withdrawal tank fitting in the bottom of the tank where there’s currently a plug, translation = about 450.00
What’s your thoughts on upgrading all these parts??
Am I being a tightwad by thinking that I shouldn’t upgrade the tank?

I literally live about 5 miles due east of you on the Indiana side.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Mark
johndeere430u
Posted 4/17/2019 22:19 (#7445347 - in reply to #493997)

Central, mn
You got a deal. I have yet to find a used 1000 for any less than 1500 anywhere it seems the last 5 yrs
Mike SE IL
Posted 4/18/2019 02:08 (#7445487 - in reply to #7445347)

West Union, Illinois
johndeere430u Check the dates. This discussion is 11 years old
Mike SE IL
Posted 4/18/2019 03:13 (#7445496 - in reply to #7445268)

West Union, Illinois

Rudy045 - 4/17/2019 20:53 Mike, I found your thread on a google search by accident, and yes, I’m a little late to the party! I had a question regarding your post from 2008 about the Multivalve on older propane tanks. You seem very knowledgeable about tanks, so, I figured I ask you a question? I have a 500 gallon tank that I got from a family friend, it was manufactured in 1955 and still in good condition, I’m installing heat in our garage and am in the process of making connections and having it filled. It has an older Rego 2594 multivalve with a new service valve kit installed. A local provider is trying to persuade me to change the multivalve to something more modern, the tank was last used three years ago. I’m questioning the need to change the valve and liquid check lock fitting and adding a newer style liquid withdrawal tank fitting in the bottom of the tank where there’s currently a plug, translation = about 450.00 What’s your thoughts on upgrading all these parts?? Am I being a tightwad by thinking that I shouldn’t upgrade the tank? I literally live about 5 miles due east of you on the Indiana side. Thanks in advance for your advice, Mark
Mark, first a disclaimer: I've worked for Wabash Valley Heat and Gas off and on since 1992.

I don't know what company you've been talking to, but I've met a lot of LP service guys over the years. Some I differed with, but I've yet to find an LP service guy I felt was intentionally taking advantage of the customer. There can be differences of opinion, like replacing the valve or rebuilding it, but it's usually done with the customer's best interest at heart.

I actually started working with John at WVH&G before I was employed there. My family and his family spent News Years Eve together for many years. We'd go to their home one year and ours the next. Inevitably New Year's Day he would get called out for service and I'd go along. I knew what I was getting into when I started with the company.

Getting on topic, one of the problems with an old MultiValve is repairs can get pricey quickly. And actually a 2594 (I had to look it up to see which one that is, I don't remember all the numbers) is not the most expensive to repair or replace. There are some service valves with parts no longer available. You have an almost 65 year old tank. That means the rubber gaskets sealing things may be that old. Even if replaced 30+ years ago they are still 30+ years old.

Bare minimum would be replace what we call the bonnet stem, the shut off valve. Not even a question. I have never rebuilt a fill valve or vapor fitting (the 2 fittings a hose screws on to). It's been a few years since I did much service work but even when I was a full time tank repair guy I never did that. Looking online it appears a 2594 sells for around $400 today. At that price I'd probably look into rebuilding rather than replacement. But that brass has been together under pressure for over 60 years. It may not be agreeable to being rebuilt. Like I said, bare minimum is replace the bonnet stem.

I am a big advocate of installing the "new style" liquid withdrawal fitting. All tanks should have one. Because some day for some reason it will need the contents removed. Or you may need liquid for something. We have 2 tanks on engines, 1 on a grain dryer, and 1 on wheels that gets moved back and forth that require liquid withdrawal. The new style is much preferable to the old Chek-Lok. Charlie and I were working on a tank one day. Unscrewed the cap,of a Chek-Lok and the internal parts went flying out the top. Makes thing interesting very quickly.

Oh, and 5 miles due east of me puts you just about Waapaahsiki Siipiiwi Mound Historical Park.  Yes, I copied that.

Edited by Mike SE IL 4/18/2019 03:23
Rudy045
Posted 4/18/2019 21:25 (#7447206 - in reply to #7445496)

Thanks for the reply Mike, I will likely look into purchasing a new updated valve assembly such as the Marshall Excelsior ME662 or the Rego 8593, the price is actually better on the ME662.
I’ll see about adding a liquid withdrawal valve where the bottom plug is as per the service tech’s recommendation.

I’ve been total electric here for nearly 25 years, propane is new to me but a better fit for the garage than electric.

I was actually off just a bit on my location, not sure what I was thinking, I’m a mile north of the Darwin ferry on SR63, you’ve likely passed our home many times through the years.
For some reason I’ve had in my head that West Union was closer to the ferry.

Mike SE IL
Posted 4/19/2019 07:32 (#7447734 - in reply to #7447206)

West Union, Illinois
Ah! So you're between the church and Walter's. 20 years ago I knew every house and most of the dogs around there. Names but not people, because delivering LP you see tanks and dogs but not so many people. I've not been in the area much for years. I was helping the driver for that area catch up this winter and spent a couple days over there. So many of the names have changed. Made a delivery to Walter up at the curve. I'd not seen him in at least 15 years. His brother lives just a few block over from me here in West Union.

As for end fed tanks, I'm kind of odd. I like them. They are longer and a bit more difficult to handle and set. But because they are lower to the ground, once you get it properly set it seems more stable. I remember seeing one in the coal mine / oil field several years ago on a fifth wheel wagon running gear. It had such a low center of gravity I don't think it could be rolled. It was great for moving around in the field, not quite legal in the road. But it worked well for that application.

I don't recall seeing any with the MultValve we've been discussing. The big thing is if you can get an internal relief valve in them. Internals are much cheaper than externals. And generally they are cheaper than "regular" tanks.
Rudy045
Posted 4/19/2019 21:15 (#7448986 - in reply to #7447734)

I sent you an email.
If it’s not I’m your inbox you may want to check your junk.
The subject line will have reference to propane tank.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)