AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Macttle son and help headed that way.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 3/27/2017 16:26 (#5926291 - in reply to #5925533)
Subject: Call ahead...

If coming to Ashland.. call the Chamber of Commerce 620-408-6021

They have a good organization set up to handle what you are asking for...  and I believe what you appear to be offering is EXACTLY what is needed.  An Ohio crew..

( http://ocj.com/2017/03/ohio-to-kansas-photo-highlights-farmers-help... )

Has been doing a first rate job..  What they are finding..

fenceline

and how it's going..

dust 

Along with the HELP of OTHERS.. Missouri.. Nebraska.. etc.. (too numerous to start writing.. ALOT of people have come from all over.. and it's appreciated.)

with miles upon miles of work yet to be completed.. so trust me.. if ya want to come.. the number above will put you in touch with someone who will take ya up on the offer.

A couple of things..

Hay.. yes.. it sounds like they still could use more.. it would seem like we could find it closer than Ohio.. but certainly not turning it down yet.  They just don't know how long they will need to go before the grass.. or the fence around the grass..?? gets rebuilt.. etc. to turn cattle out on.  "Depends on rains.. and progress made on fences.."

Fencing supplies.. the gov't cost sharing is going to require NEW material.. not that they can't find a place (see first pic above) for good used.. but keep in mind that the gov't is going to require certain spec's to be meet.. which is NEW posts.. wire.. etc in order to qualify for assistance.  (just throwing that reality out there..)

Lodging.. the locals want to be gracious.. hospitable.. etc.. but keep in mind.. most.. 85% of the grassland burnt.. which probably affects 85% or more of the people there.. and they are taxed enough emotionally.. 40 houses lost.. and all the belongings.. equipment burnt up.. etc.. so.. it's taxing to the locals to bunk help.. but they are doing it.  

Edit add: well this is all pretty much BUNK!!  They have room so don't worry about it..

Water.. everyone's gonna need some as it warms up.  So come prepared.. bring bottled water by the case loads.

Edit add: and THEY ALREADY have Case loads of bottled water.. so if you need some.. "come and get it."

I talked to my cousin.. they lost fencing but minor.. otherwise.. and they were lodging and feeding volunteers (and happy to do it..) but getting the work done.. chores.. tending the cattle.. doctoring the injured.. getting ready for the summer growing season.. etc.. are busy also.. plus hosting others.  Happy to do it but as this continues I wonder how well that will work out.. rebuilding ALL the fence will take..??  A small army.. probably a couple of months.. or longer.  So I hope that we can rotate crews in.. make a difference.. be a blessing.. and help with the healing process while not adding too much to the burdens.. but certainly the interaction and opportunity to edify are also important..  "just sayin."

My point.. there's only about 2200 people in the whole county.. so please try to be as self sufficient as you can.. Dodge City is about an hour away.. farther if you are in the hinter lands.. I suspect that most lodging is gonna fill.. or be filled with workers closest to the epicenter...???

So might come planning to "rough it" although they've been pretty good so far.. call the number above.

I salute anyone who wants to go help.. we're trying to ready a crew ourselves.. hope to go in a couple of days.

However, I'm hearing some REALLY WONDERFUL stories.. and good experiences and it's a WONDERFUL OPPORTUNITY to help and make a difference.

( https://www.facebook.com/ohioscountryjournalandohioagnet/videos/10154639450528577/ )

( https://www.facebook.com/ohioscountryjournalandohioagnet/videos/10154641844963577/ )

Thanks. 

ps anyone else got anything I missed to add.. fire away.. 

Edited by JonSCKs 3/27/2017 21:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)