AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Working on the railroad
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Posted 3/26/2017 22:06 (#5925141 - in reply to #5924195)
Subject: RE: Working on the railroad

ekeller2 - 3/26/2017 20:06

Run, everyone says it's great here, but how many have actually worked the train crew jobs? The retirement is good, but we pay a large amount to get it. Tier 1 tax is the same as social security, we pay tier 1, And tier 2, it's a huge amount out of every check. Takes 5 years to get vested, but here is the catch, you got to retire from a rr job to get it. You could work 25 years at the rr, quit or get fired, take a job that pays into social security, and loose all your rr retirement. Insurance is not great, $3,000 deductable a year, dental only covers $1500 a year, we pay $228 a month for our ins, but latest contract talks they want us to pay $1,000 a month so it's going up. Plan to work 10-20 hours a day, I usually spend 80-120 hours a week at work, with a lot of uncompensated time in the motel. The furloughs are a huge problem as well, the first 10 years you will spend more time off then working.

Amen. Spent 15 years of my life their. Made good money and got me to where I am today but I sure wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It sucks royally. Always funny to hear new guys how they like it and I always said come see me in 3 years and it was about that long and they hated it. Longest day I was ever on duty was 25hrs and 15 min. RR workers earn every penny they make. No comparison to the public sector unions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)