AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Project White 2-135
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Oliver Farmer In MI
Posted 3/24/2017 08:18 (#5919146)
Subject: Project White 2-135

Post below had me thinking I would make a write up with my project 2-135 I bought last fall. Lots of tractor changes on my farm since last year. Traded my 770 towards this 2-135. Sold my 1650. Traded my Steiger Wildcat and 1850 towards my new to me White 8310. Wanted a nicer newer tractor I could safely take a passenger with me in. This year I will be rolling with the 8310, 2-135, a late 60s Ford 4000 diesel, and the trusty Oliver 550 gas.

Now back to my 2-135 project. I bought the 770 for $1,500. Ended up trading it plus $3,000 cash for this 1978 2-135. Drove it back about 50 miles with something very loose in the steering. it was a tense drive home from up in the thumb. So I basically bought it for $4,500. Had to drop off the 770 and drive the 2-135 home, but no big deal. The 2-135 started well and ran well. A little blow by, but not the end of the world. Over/under seems mint. Very crisp. Basically nothing else worked. No gauges working. No electrical cab functions working. Cab interior was shot. Door handle would come apart so you had to prop the door open so you didn't lock yourself out. Fun stuff. The battery cover/step was on the cab floor, probably because the battery terminals were not seated properly and were touching the underside of the cover. Big rubber on the tractor, good 14L on the front and mostly worn 20.8-38 singles on the rear. Basically your typical worn out tractor from the 70s, but I only had $4,500 into it, so I wouldn't mind fixing her up some.

Brings me to the last couple weeks. Put a new one wire alternator on myself. Removed batteries and cleaned tray. Cleaned and properly installed all found battery terminals. Installed battery cover/step as it should be. Looks awesome. Works awesome. Starts a lot easier now, too. New roll pin holding the door handle halves together. Now that opens and closes proper. Have a quality local mechanic that is familiar with AGCO products. Time to start spending money. Tie rods were worn out, no surprise. Replaced those myself, still a lot of play in the steering. Put it on the list. Installed a new tach drive and cable myself. Alternator, tach parts, and tie rods brought me to a total of $5,300 into the tractor so far. Next day I took off to drive it to the mechanic's place. Had a cable slipping noise at the tach and the needle was bouncing intermittently, so I stopped and pulled the dash cover back some and made sure the cable was seated. Looked fine and worked fine the rest of the drive. We'll see.

Tech found some broken plate at the steering box area up front. Labor intensive to replace. Gotta be done. Electrical feed to the cab fixed (wiper worked). New fuel filters. New blower motor. All lights and flashers working. New fuel sender. New volt gauge. New temp sender. Good place to start for round one.

So for a total of around $7,000 I'll have a 2-135 that drives good down the road, front end is tight (at least tighter?), charging system works good, blower motor works as it should (a/c is round two), all lights work as they should, all gauges work as they should.

Plans for round two down the road would be new cab kit, get a/c working, and new rear tires. If it doesn't have enough rear tire for my 21' disc, it may see a 15' disc or 19' field cultivator. We'll see. I'll try to post updates as I go.

Edited by Oliver Farmer In MI 3/24/2017 08:23

(IMG_3275.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_3275.JPG (137KB - 113 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)