AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

fishing lure question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Brassring
Posted 3/23/2017 04:40 (#5916690)
Subject: fishing lure question

St.Clair Co. IL.
Have a question for the fisherman on here,
I was gifted a box of old fishing tackle, some lures, (not wood) and string ( any good been dry and still on spool) other odds and ends, but not important,
My question is the lures are dirty looks like mold on them ( heavy coating)
I can rub on them and get it to come off, but can I soak them in something that will remove the mold and not have a smell left on them to the point the fish won't bite? or is this not likely.
sort of new to fishing haven't fished since I was a kid so don't remember much other than pole,cork,hook and worm LOL
TIA
Bob
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Biff
Posted 3/23/2017 08:07 (#5916922 - in reply to #5916690)
Subject: RE: fishing lure question

Southern Ab
You could just pop them in the dishwasher at a moderate temp. Myself I would just scrub them with wd-40 and a toothbrush. It's very common for fishermen to spray all sorts of stuff on their lures as an attractant. Off the coast of BC most of the guides give the bait a good shot of wd-40 then straight in to the water. Here on the prairies it's common also but I can't say I see much benefit.
Line doesn't cost much. If it's sentimental keep it. Older line will have a tendency to retain the coil from the spool. Modern line is thinner and more supple. You'll probably have less issues with your reel.

To add...my point is wd will spruce them up shiny. That's the whole idea...flashy and vibrant color.
Wd as an attractant is debatable. Some of the professionals use it religiously. I don't.

Edited by Biff 3/23/2017 10:22
Beargrass
Posted 3/23/2017 10:02 (#5917158 - in reply to #5916922)

Just east of the big mountain
Biff - 3/23/2017 08:07

You could just pop them in the dishwasher at a moderate temp. Myself I would just scrub them with wd-40 and a toothbrush. It's very common for fishermen to spray all sorts of stuff on their lures as an attractant. Off the coast of BC most of the guides give the bait a good shot of wd-40 then straight in to the water. Here on the prairies it's common also but I can't say I see much benefit.
Line doesn't cost much. If it's sentimental keep it. Older line will have a tendency to retain the coil from the spool. Modern line is thinner and more supple. You'll probably have less issues with your reel.
Yep use lots of WD40! It is a fair lubricant and not worth a damn on any lure. People that use that stuff sure know nothing about fishing. Just more internet nonsense. Just clean the lures with soap and water leave the other stuff alone.
KnowAFarmer
Posted 3/23/2017 09:27 (#5917085 - in reply to #5916690)

SE Nebraska
I'd soak them in the lake for a while. Are the fish gonna care if they are moldy?
John..neAR
Posted 3/23/2017 10:59 (#5917228 - in reply to #5916690)

Caraway, AR

And remember: a bad day fishing is better than a good day working>:)
John 

W2Gearjammer
Posted 3/23/2017 16:19 (#5917721 - in reply to #5916690)

Capron,IL
absolutely no wd 40 certain chemicals will react with the plastic lures and ruin them tooth brush and water but i would use them for a couple trips and clean them up that way shiny lures are not always best on multiple occasions the lures with a matte finish will catch them better the line is shot over time line will become brittle and will lose its strength i have any questions feel free to shoot me a email im always up to talk fishing
oldbones
Posted 3/23/2017 20:26 (#5918257 - in reply to #5916690)

Floyd County, Iowa
Just use a mild dish soap and a soft toothbrush. Rinse really well, tie 'em on and cast.
Most lures attract by sight/noise, not scent. Live bait is another story- it has scent/taste. But a lure strike is reactionary.
There are fish attractants (BaitMate for one), many of which contain anise oil, which has a smell similar to wd40, but they're not the same things. I've used attractants before, but can't say how effective it actually is.
The line might be OK. If it's been covered, and hasn't been exposed to sunlight and dirt, probably better chance of it being good, unless you're talking 10 years old.
Spool it up, tie a swivel on the end, hook the swivel onto something solid, spool the line out, and stretch it. Reel in a few yards, and stretch it again. Repeat until it's spooled up again. If it didn't break stretching, it should be OK. Just don't put 30 lbs pull on 6 lb test line.
I do this every year when I'm putting new line on all my reels. Some of it I've had for a few years in a box, some will be new off the store shelf. I stretch it all putting it on. I also re-stretch it a couple times during the summer, too. This will eliminate any coils that the line may have.
That's on mono line. The braided line on my trolling rods and bass rods doesn't coil (or stretch).

One other thing, that "mold" might be from someone previous spraying them with attractants. Should scrub off. Don't use petroleum products, though.

GO FISHING!!!!

(DSCF0529.JPG)

(DSCF0111.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCF0529.JPG (92KB - 36 downloads)
Attachments DSCF0111.JPG (120KB - 31 downloads)
W2Gearjammer
Posted 3/23/2017 21:20 (#5918450 - in reply to #5918257)

Capron,IL
thats a nice fish what lake is in the pictures??
oldbones
Posted 3/23/2017 22:00 (#5918597 - in reply to #5918450)

Floyd County, Iowa
Rush Lake. Ottertail County, Minn
Ernie
Posted 3/24/2017 14:23 (#5919889 - in reply to #5918257)

North End I-15
Looks like a couple of good "catches " :>)
oldbones
Posted 3/24/2017 17:00 (#5920174 - in reply to #5919889)

Floyd County, Iowa
Thanks. I netted that one 42 years ago this fall.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)