AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what to do with old sewing machines?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Southern Farmer
Posted 3/17/2017 20:06 (#5906230 - in reply to #5905765)
Subject: Related but off subject.

West Texas

I went to a "police Auction" in Urbana, Ohio back in 1970. They had a leather box being sold as I walked up and had no idea what was in it. I had come to town to buy my son a pair of shoes. 

someone bid  5 dollars so I bid 10.  Yep, I bought it. Took it home, walked into the house and my wife asked what it was. Told her I had no idea but was going fixing to find out. Opened it up and it was a portable GE sewing machine. My wife used that darn thing for several years until the foot pdeal quit working. I wrote GE a letter requesting a number where I could order a new foot pedal. About 3 months later I got a reply from a person that said my letter had finally ended up on his desk and that GE had quit making those machines in 1939 and he had no idea where I could find any parts. Still got the machine and that letter in the storage shed. Every once in a while, I'll get it out to show someone. It still looks and smells like it is brand spanking new.

I would sure like to set that Singer alongside of it. Mama's old singer was a treadle type and yes, I sewed some on it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)