AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Plant - Free Satellite Imagery - Everywhere Once per Day
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

satman
Posted 3/15/2017 10:47 (#5900945 - in reply to #5899475)
Subject: RE: Plant - Free Satellite Imagery - Everywhere Once per Day

Langdon, ND
That is about the best they can give you. They won't give you google/bing maps quality type imagery. This is mainly for infrared and NDVI for looking at changes in crops or large areas. They are not seemingly providing analysis or analytical tools to showcase this type of imagery more which does no one any good.

As a separate note, from what I've understood about all their satellites in space, is most have only RGB cameras which is normal color photos. They do have some infrared but beyond the Rapid Eye sats they bought a few years back the rest of their small dove sats that have infrared are not to the quality that is really needed compared even to the rapid eye sats or lower resolutions sats like Sentinel or even Landsat. The specs satellites need to make correct readings from space is complicated and from what I've learned they haven't been able to quite match that compared to others to their sats which are the size of two bread loaves. I'm sure they'll get there but they'll spend another couple hundred million before they get there. Now many will say that won't matter but when you have to compare images from say 20-50 different satellites the specs needed to calibrate and quantify the pure amount of data to itself needs to incredible accurate and reliable. There is a reason satellites like Landsat and Sentinel among others cost a lot and take a lot of time to be developed. Sure a lot of the cost is govt bs but the govt also needs the best data and they make sure of that. There's take a few months, cost 500k-1mil but still something to think about. The startups are more worried about users and how many sats they put up and how much money they raise usually. All I'll say is just because groups like this and others claim daily imagery and this and that doesn't mean that they actually can supply that to your expectations and good results.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)