AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cow herd management...lots of questions...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 2/23/2017 07:33 (#5857560 - in reply to #5857434)
Subject: I agree 100% Garvo,.............

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
Show cattle and feedlot cattle are totally different. Nothing gripes me more than watching local 4-H and FFA steer show. Show calves to top of sale, but when they are ultra-sounded for rib eye size, the ranch kids calves are always in the top of the ultrasound competition. I have had a few times my kids calves get in the top ten calves with off ranch calves. Last year judge gave my boy a red ribbon for his steer. Well guy that bought his steer told me he would eat our red ribbon steers any day over those show calves. In caracus evaluation those show calves are always in the bottom grade.

Also I see nothing wrong with note pad and pen to keep records, if you can't keep them there, no way are you going to keep them on a computer. I had to laugh about twenty years ago a manger of a big ranch out here went to a cattlemen's meeting and his wife bragged up they had all their cattle on the computer. Well a old rancher that ranched next to them replied; Well that's nice, but I've got all my cows in my pasture! It sure made me chuckle that day!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)