AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EIN # Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

rollinsorchards
Posted 2/22/2017 15:23 (#5856381 - in reply to #5856215)
Subject: RE: EIN # Question

Garland Maine
I don't suppose you have been filing a 990 or 990-n with the IRS for that EIN lately? The 990-n is a 3 question tax return for non profits basically stating that you didn't handle more than $50,000 last year.

If you have not filed for three consecutive years I think you are considered inactive or out of business or something.

It is easy to chase after the wrong paperwork. You need to have the bank write down exactly what pieces of paper you need in order to make them happy. In several farmer's markets I am involved with somebody will have a conversation with a bank or government agency that we need "paperwork about X or Y" and I usually volunteer to straighten that mess out. 99% of the time the information I get from some clueless person in the organization is wrong or incomplete. My wife and I spend a bunch of time in the past couple weeks straightening out one mess, and every time we fax one piece of paperwork it either needed to be changed or it wasn't even what they wanted, or net to the right person. Finally managed to get one person on the other end to give us the whole story so that we could get it right.

Really an EIN and the resulting letter issuing it from the IRS doesn't mean much. Maybe they want the non profit status determination letter? If you ever filed the ream of paperwork called form 1024 and paid the $300 to apply as a 501.c.3 they they should have sent you a letter and you could get a copy of that from the IRS. Not a lot of non profits ever fill out that ream of paperwork.

What the bank could want is articles of incorporation that were filed with the state, or should have been, prior to obtaining the EIN. Incorporating makes you a legal entity, like a person, with responsible parties and whatnot.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)