AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

So tell me about South Dakota.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

white shadow
Posted 2/22/2017 11:32 (#5856022 - in reply to #5855034)
Subject: Farming and sex in South Dakota.......

East Central South Dakota
West River people are great--------they live with the attitude of "less government is good, no government is great." We had a hard time even getting them to sign up for help/aid after the freakish Halloween blizzard-----and some lost most of their herds. Very self reliant and independent. They are easy going till you start bossing them around and try to tell them what to do. Very tough country to scratch out a living---I am not tough enough to live on that side of the state. They are easy going for a reason, if you are high strung type A, you won't live very long West River when mother nature beats you with a stick every other week.

I would argue East River South Dakota/North Dakota has changed more than any other agricultural production area in the nation. Innovation and invention in machine and seed technology has transformed this area from a High plains state into the corn belt. Annual rainfall is creeping higher, we have humidity now, regularly. The semi-arid high plains short grass prairie (wheat and cattle) is slowly being transformed into a sub-humid tall grass prairie, (corn/soybeans)---the corn belt. Most of the new production in grain comes out of North/South Dakota. We have built more new shuttle loaders than any other part of the country. Corn and beans are moving west and so is the good pheasant hunting.

We still carry guns in all the trucks, shoot some type of critter weekly and can fish on a lake and be the only boat out there ( although that is changing too, Minnesota has 10,000 lakes and they are all over here fishing). 853,000 people in the state and 165,000 of that is in Sioux Falls. We are as lonely as the Maytag Repairman out in the country---and it is great. Counting the mailman I get maybe 5-6 cars a day on my road, and it is one of the main roads in the township-----it has gravel, most are grass.

Farming is South Dakota is like SEX, when it is good, it is really, really good. When it is bad, it is still pretty darn good.

(IMG_0218.JPG)

(IMG_0220.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0218.JPG (58KB - 86 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0220.JPG (138KB - 89 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)