AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

So tell me about South Dakota.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

runningbehind
Posted 2/22/2017 07:35 (#5855639 - in reply to #5855353)
Subject: RE: So tell me about South Dakota.....

NC ND
L_Klip - 2/21/2017 22:20

Pasture land or farm land?  There is a difference. Pasture/Dryland farm ground 800-1200.  Irrigated crop land 2500 to 4500 depending on location.  Couple small irrigation projects out west but dryland farming is tough.  Not much good farm ground.  Probably 70% sugar sand and 30% tiger sh*t gumbo.  We had 13 inches of precip for the year last year.  One third of that came in 2 hail storms that wiped out 40% of the corn around here.  I live here so its not all bad learn to adjust.  A lot of variance in producers.  County avg for corn is around 125.  Hay 4.5t/a, both irrigated.  No dryland corn planted.  Wheat avg 20-30. 

So what does it take to make it there? It's a higher risk environment, do people come in trying high inputs and too high of equipment costs or just expecting higher returns than they get? I've met people who farm on 281 and West River, seem to be doing g all right also met guys from NW SD who made a living without cattle. One thing I did notice is that they didn't drive new pickups.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)