AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Adding auto-shutoff to planter.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/23/2017 05:52 (#5857408 - in reply to #5854996)
Subject: RE: Adding auto-shutoff to planter.

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
cottonhauler - 2/21/2017 19:42

Putting fertilizer on the planter this year. Running a JD 2630 (steering only) with an AgLeader Integra with row clutches. Have used that for a few years. Is there a way to have the AgLeader control the liquid fert half and half on a 24 row kinze planter? It is set up with 2 tanks, 2 electric pumps, each feeding half of the planter. Don't need individual, just looking for 12 rows at a time.

I will have to make some assumptions about your current setup. I am going to assume that each pump is run with a 12V source and pumps at maximum at all times with the rate being controlled with some type of bypass where the excess is routed back to the tank OR some type of PWM control box is being used to run each pump at the correct speed to get the desired rate. In either case no flow meter or automatic speed adjustment is involved.

If the above assumptions are true, then I could envision a system where the output from the Clutch Control module would be used to operate each pump. As another poster suggests, a relay could be installed in the power side of the pump or the power side to the PWM hand control box. In either case breaking the power would cause the pump to stop.

By using relays in the planter section wiring it would be possible to have the clutch control control the ON/OFF of the fertilizer as well. With the planter planting all rows, obviously you would want both pumps to pump. You would need to decide what you want to happen when some of the sections are shut OFF but others remain ON when working with point rows. For example, your planter may be setup to use 12-2 row sections. You will need to decide what you want to happen when the sections start clicking OFF 2 rows at a time. Do you want the fertilizer pump to continue to apply until all sections of that half are OFF or do you want the fertilizer to stop as soon as one section cycles OFF? Several relays might be involved and the method in which they are wired would depend on the above decision.

It is somewhat confusing to explain the wiring of these relays in words.

Now on the other hand if the output from the fertilizer system goes through a flow meter for some type of control based on speed then the situation is different. A single pump with a flow meter and control valve or PWM going to a single pump would be quite common and would require the Ag Leader Liquid Modlue, a flow meter etc. Having two pumps complicates this issue. I'm not sure how that would be done.

Some might suggest two modules, One for the left and one for the right with two flowmeters etc. At face value this seems workable (quite expensive) but there are problems. Unless this has changed the Ag Leader setup does not allow for two liquid systems on a rig "beside each other". The assumption is that they are "one behind the other" rather than one for the left half and the other for the right half. I have run into this problem with NH3 systems where the bar literally had two separate systems on it. One tank and system for the left half and another tank and system for the right half. The Ag Leader configuration did not allow for these two systems to operate "end to end" or beside each other. Some other brands did allow for such a situation.

On my own 24 row planter setup in 12-2 row sections for seed, the starter fertilizer is applied with a ground driven pump across the entire planter. My rate is set by the stroke setting of the pump. As long as the planter is down, the pump turns and fertilizer is applied. That means in a point row situation, my Clutch Control Module starts clicking off 2 row sections as it encounters the headland. My fertilizer continues to be applied on all rows until the planter is raised and the ground contact wheel no longer turns. As the sections are clicking OFF, I do have double application on some rows but I feel this is not a real issue as the extra fertilizer is not that much due to a lower rate and it is really not wasted. Due to my plumbing I could put in a restricted bypass so that half the fertilizer flow could be returned to the tank when half the planter is not planting but I don't feel its worth the effort.

Edited by tedbear 2/23/2017 05:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)