AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

advice on how to help young kids experience/start farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

nei
Posted 2/20/2017 16:05 (#5852152 - in reply to #5852124)
Subject: RE: advice on how to help young kids experience/start farming

I have the same goal for my kids (that are probably more like 7-8 years away from it)... I'm not sure how Manitoba compares to the corn belt in the US, but my plan was to have them put a little more skin in the game with around 50 acres.. and in our case some of corn and some of beans even if they are on different farms. I'd like them to go through the whole process in terms of budgeting, lender relations, and salesman 'relations' I'd be co-signing of coarse. Depending on the time either working with a good current landlord, or subletting some of my owned ground to them. I'll try to advise from a far to ensure that they don't get into too much the wrong direction, but let them feel a little bite if something doesn't work out.. First year farming, I got bit, that was 13 years ago, and I have been a better manager since.

Basically, giving them the opportunity to understand all that is involved a few years before they need to go to school, so they can either pick a direction more toward ag, or more toward something that they are interested in. It could be a good 4-H project, along with showing livestock if they so chose to do something in that area. Looking back I wish I had that same idea when I was in High School as i think I would have gone in a different direction in school.

I'll be watching this as well to see what other ideas pop up, good luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)