AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dairy Goat Opinions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 1/23/2017 13:10 (#5788261 - in reply to #5788130)
Subject: RE: Dairy Goat Opinions

SE Manitoba
SmythFarms - 1/23/2017 12:02

Looking at getting into Dairy goats. Have a barn that can be utilized for a feedlot type area and would only need to build a milkhouse and milking room with possibly some more pens. I am in Southern ontario and wondering what guys are thinking on this industry? Is it profitable? Looking to milk around 150-200 goats to start.

Also, with having no decision made yet, is there another type of livestock I should be looking at? Cattle? Hogs?

Farming 400 ac and cant justify buying more land at the current price so looking to add some income to the farm.

TIA

In Ontario you do have choices as to where you could buy your stock. I would suggest research into where you could sell the milk.
Do they pay extra for higher butterfat? Do they pay more for higher total milk solids? Do they just pay on volume?
The answers to these questions will help you decide on the breed directions you want to go.

If you decide you're going this way I (I'm working with dairy sheep) have some suggestions for you re: genetics but mostly when it comes to nutrition. That's where your money can be made.

Would love to chat more!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)