AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Laying out a farm yard help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

mennoboy
Posted 1/23/2017 14:27 (#5788414 - in reply to #5787725)
Subject: RE: Laying out a farm yard help

Rivers, MB
Lots of good ideas posted already. I hope you have a lot more than 2-3 acres to build your whole farm yard on. I'm glad that my dad planned for 20-30 years in advance when arranging our farm yard. We have added to it significantly since my brother and I started farming with him and it is still working. I've attached a picture of our yard so my points below make more sense.

Few thoughts.

1. Space between bin rows. See too many yards where space between bin rows is barely 60'. Not nearly enough room IMO. 2 of our 3 rows bins are 100'. It can get crowded if you have 85' augers set up to both rows at the same time during harvest.

2. Driveways. We added a second access to our yard so all farm traffic and truck traffic stays away from the houses. I spoiled that a bit when I built our house east of the yard (north is up/forward in the picture) but our house has separate access to the road so still keeps a "farm only" driveway.

3. Shop doors. What is your climate? I wish our main shop door was on the east side of our shop. Our main winds come from the NW and afternoons working on the pad infront of the shop on the west side can be down right unbearable sometimes. Also, I wouldn't want any farm building within 100-150 yards from the house.

4. Snow clearing. If you are in a heavy snow area, consider where snow will be pushed so that the piles can melt and not leak over the farm yard in spring.

5. We like be able to spread out a piece of equipment and drive it around on the yard. Calibration, repairs etc are nice when you don't have to fold up just to move the equipment away from the shop door.

6. Power lines - Underground is a must for us. No chance of accidental contact.

7. Bin rows- I like having bin rows back to back. Very nice for bringing in electricity and for containing aeration fans' noise.

8. Space- If something looks like enough space between permanent objects for today's equipment when planning, then double it and add 50' and you'll be close to where you'd like it 20 from now.

(IMG_3608.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_3608.JPG (173KB - 52 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)