AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SPX 3185 problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Andy Bivens
Posted 1/23/2017 07:43 (#5787592)
Subject: SPX 3185 problems

Dyersburg, TN
My sprayer fought me every step of the way last season and I am doing my best to diagnose, treat, and cure it so this one isn't such a nightmare. I have a 2002 model Case IH SPX 3185 with a 750 gallon round tank and 75' booms. It has a Mid Tech ARC-6000 rate controller, a Raven 063-0159-571(RFM 55) flow meter, and a Mid Tech P/N 879-0072 Auto Range Valve. It is equipped with an Outback S3 with AutoMate autosteer system and 5-section auto cutoffs. The rate varies so greatly I just can't rely on it. In watching the rate controller while operating it is all over the board. I have learned to keep my eye on the rate controller like a hawk and adjust speed accordingly to maintain a consistent rate as best I can. This is very difficult to do as 90% of our fields are hilly, cut up messes and varying speed or terrain seems to blow it's mind. If I have it set at 15 GPA with 005 tips and I go slow around a perimiter or something the outside 2 or 3 tips will either not spray at all or will just spit and sputter. I can sometimes change tip size to a smaller and go slower and the pressure comes up and it will do OK. But not always. The only time it ever worked like I believe it should was when I was in a flat field and had it set on 20GPA. It would slow down volume applied as I slowed and could see the insides putting out less than the outside going around light poles. However, even then, the actual GPA was way off and one tank went 18.4. The GPS told me I had sprayed 81.5 acres but the rate controller said 126.10 acres. I have taken the flow meter apart, replaced the o-ring, cleaned it, blew on it and it spools up and down as it should. The only way I was able to get through the year even halfway consistent was to change the calibration number every time I changed tip size or GPA. Now I know this isn't right but I had to do something and just did the best I could. Thought it might be the radar as it said I was going 1mph sitting still so replaced it with a GPS signalled one and that was corrected but still no change to the operation. It seems when I test with clear water it is accurate. I assume this is because it is in test mode with a constant flow. Of course when I put chemical in it and go to the field, it goes haywire. Do any of you have a clue as to what the problem could be? I have had several suggestions to it being the Auto Range Valve but I don't know if you can test it. The dealer told me that little jewel is $1500 so I am really trying to make sure that's it before I spend that much money I don't have. Thank you for reading this and sorry it was so long.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)