AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SPX 3185 problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 1/23/2017 10:15 (#5787901 - in reply to #5787592)
Subject: RE: SPX 3185 problems

northeastern Ohio
Lets look at one issue at a time:

Andy Bivens - 1/23/2017 07:43
If I have it set at 15 GPA with 005 tips and I go slow around a perimiter or something the outside 2 or 3 tips will either not spray at all or will just spit and sputter. I can sometimes change tip size to a smaller and go slower and the pressure comes up and it will do OK. But not always. The only time it ever worked like I believe it should was when I was in a flat field and had it set on 20GPA.

I assume that the nozzle bodies are the standard T-Jet and are set to open at 10psi. The farthest tips won't spray because the boom pressure is below 10 psi. At 15 gpa, the controller is reading the speed and setting the flow to put out 15 gpa. If your speed is low, it closes the valve and reduces flow, which reduces pressure. The pressure at the end of the boom dropped below 10psi and the nozzle closed. When you set it to 20 gpm the pressure would be higher at the same speed and the nozzle remains open. If you want to apply at this slow speed at 15 gpa, you need a smaller tip.

Andy Bivens - 1/23/2017 07:43
The GPS told me I had sprayed 81.5 acres but the rate controller said 126.10 acres.

I will assume that the GPS was correct. The rate controller calculates the area based on speed and width. If you have the width set correctly in the controller and are not having major overlaps, then the speed is being read incorrectly or is setup wrong in the controller.

Andy Bivens - 1/23/2017 07:43It seems when I test with clear water it is accurate. I assume this is because it is in test mode with a constant flow.

Are you in the field and moving when the test is being run? If you are sitting still, then again the speed is the input that is not changing. The controller is relying on a speed input (might be disabled when in test mode) and the flowmeter input to determine where to set the control valve.

Another thought: maybe your pump is wore out and unable to produce the volume needed to meet the demand required. In other words, the controller detects insufficient flow at the flow meter and opens the valve all the way. For example: at 5 mph the controller opens the valve all the way and the flow is sufficient to meet 15 gpa, but at 10 mph, you are only putting out 7.5 gpa because the valve won't open any farther.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)