AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Twin rows again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NEMOScott
Posted 1/22/2017 22:01 (#5787259)
Subject: Twin rows again

Callao, Missouri
I haven't really had any interest in twin row corn, but tonight I got to thinking...if I converted my Kinze 3650 to twin rows, I could use it to plant wheat after early corn harvest between the corn rows with a good set of row cleaners.

Then next spring I could use either it or the sidedress/cover crop interseeder that I'm building to interseed soybeans into the wheat and dribble N on the wheat.

Then sometime early fall before the beans turn, use my interseeder to plant cover crop inbetween the twin row beans.

The next spring I would plant on corn on top of the cover crop rows with the Kinze once again.

I'm thinking about using the planter for wheat because then all machinery will be the same width. My drill is only 15ft. I was previously considering buying an air seeder and not using all the rows to make the skip spacing but I already have the planter.

I would have to buy another set of row cleaners, another row unit, and modify the hitch in order to convert the planter. How hard could this be?

People say twin row corn is a pain to harvest, but why couldn't I just find a way to shut the front rows off when making curves with my Ag leader clutches? I generally leave the interplants down while planting corn now so they might as well be contributing.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)