AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My restoration project w/pics...... JD 70 Standard
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Orin
Posted 1/22/2017 19:43 (#5786846)
Subject: My restoration project w/pics...... JD 70 Standard

Nusbaum Farms LLC Bellfountain, OR
I hadn't posted on this before, but Lex560's post on his Olivers inspired me. This 70 was bought by Dad and Grandpa in about '76 and used pretty hard through the 80's and early 90's. It had developed some quirks by then but was used a little every year until '10 or '11 when the slow leak of water into the cylinder became a fast leak, so we parked it and more pressing projects kept it out of the shop 'til now. It started to bother me that my 8 y/o son was growing up without a runnning 2 cylinder Deere on the place, so it became a priority this winter. I forgot to take pics of him pulling me up to the shop with the 656, but here's a few from the teardown and going back together.

Pic of the head shows the culprit.....2 big cracks in the cylinder head. Apparently it got REALLY hot at some point. Local machine shop fixed it the old school way by pinning. Bored it .045 and new pistons and rings. It has LOTS of compression now!

The pic with the countershaft and NOS bearings is only notable because they are all NOS parts and located through the wonder of the internet. All no longer available. 5th gear was noisy as long as I can remember and it got really bad 15 years ago so we quit using it. The shaft was all chewed up and the needle bearings were flat-sided. The new parts really quieted it down.

Last pic is of this afternoon when it ran the first time and drove around enough to warm up and retorque the head & reset valves. Sure was good hearing it run again.

-Orin

Edited by Orin 1/22/2017 19:56

(IMG_0442.JPG)

(IMG_0513.JPG)

(IMG_0512.JPG)

(IMG_0446.JPG)

(IMG_0532.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0442.JPG (112KB - 170 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0513.JPG (140KB - 130 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0512.JPG (113KB - 151 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0446.JPG (122KB - 139 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0532.JPG (146KB - 171 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)