AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iowa state beef checkoff - .50
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NEIndiana
Posted 1/22/2017 10:55 (#5785468)
Subject: Iowa state beef checkoff - .50

Columbia City, Indiana
Just saw in Drovers where Iowa beef producers voted to institute a state beef checkoff of 50 cents in addition to the federal checkoff of a dollar. This is the first time I've heard of one of those passing. We voted over a year ago and it was defeated soundly, which is what I had heard from other states who voted on the topic.

My problem with it is that we hardly hear or see any advertising as it is, especially compared to a few years ago when the Sam Elliott commercials "Tonight, we eat like Kings. Beef... it's what's for dinner" were commonplace. I loved those commercials and think they were effective in getting people to swing in and grab a steak on their way home.

I may be wrong, and correct me if I am, but my fear is that too much of the funds generated go to paying salaries and benefits for extra staff members. I thought about asking before we voted at our regional IBCA meeting if they would guarantee that they wouldn't use any potential state checkoff funds to hire more staff, but I decided not to. It was defeated anyway.

The article said the vote for the Iowa checkoff was 56% yes.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)