AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cow Efficiency
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

mlfarm
Posted 1/22/2017 12:04 (#5785625 - in reply to #5785571)
Subject: RE: Cow Efficiency

ND
I agree with you completely. No one has a way to measure efficiency. I think we would all be surprised what is efficient or not depending on your goal. Is grass or feedlot performance your way of measuring it. I had a producer with a Growsafe bunk reader to watch intake and measure this for his bull sale tell me this. "The crappiest, smallest thin calves coming off of grass almost always have the best efficiency rating cause they gain so well on little feed cause their mom didn't do the job." He told me that there is a fine line for being efficient and losing traits that are important. Just something to think about. Its kind of like a bull test where bull come in from all parts of the country. Everyone was raised different. Shipped a different distance. Some are shrunk up when the get there and gain well the first 30 days. Is that being efficient or having a different playing field. To the OP your cows will always have a pecking order and some get better and more feed also. You wont know unless you can monitor individual intake.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)