AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cow Efficiency
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ajblair
Posted 1/22/2017 08:23 (#5785104)
Subject: Cow Efficiency

Dayton, IA
How do you select cows for efficiency? Everyone talks about cow size, but there can be a big range in efficiency among the same size cow. We have to feed over the winter, so if I have plenty of bunk space so no timid cow is standing back and feed a tmr that provides 100% of their needs with about 85% consumption - limit feed - could I gauge it on cow condition? Is judging cow condition on pasture a good way or do calf differences and milking show up and those traits are what I am seeing? Some of my cows are always fat and some are always thin, do you just keep culling the thin ones and feeding less until the fat ones are moderate?

Also, I feed out my own calves and try to wean at about 120 days. I have plenty of feedlot and not much pasture, so I really require little from the cow as far as raising a calf, just calving ease, quiet and efficient. However I have been told that your steer calves will finish at the weight of your average cull cow in good condition - not fat but maybe on feed 30 days before selling. So does a guy cut himself short selecting for small cows in this situation by limiting the finish weights which is what I am after - a decent sized finished steer?

It's easy to measure the calves performance and some of that comes from the cows so that can make some of the management decision but how do you find the most efficient cows in the herd? Is it really worth looking for efficient cows or should I just be identifying the cows that send a 1400lb fat steer down the road first - respective to the same bull?

Also, I realize this all comes after having an on time live calf. No management data matters if there is no live calf - that's above any other trait.

A.J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)