AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone remember the markets right after the 1981 swearing in?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Sat
Posted 1/21/2017 10:19 (#5783405 - in reply to #5782344)
Subject: RE: Anyone remember the markets right after the 1981 swearing in?

Buxton ND
"The 1980 grain embargo describes the policy enacted by the United States that banned the export of grain and technology to the Soviet Union in response to the invasion of Afghanistan in 1979. Initiated by the Carter administration in January 1980, the embargo was lifted by Ronald Reagan in April 1981. Tangible effects of the embargo were negligible, with the Soviet Union simply acquiring grain from alternative sources in South America and Europe.[1] Commodity prices dropped following the embargo, contributing to a severe farm crisis."

I believe food is now the great weapon we
. have for keeping peace in the world. I t w i l l
continue to be so for the next 20 years, as
other countries become more dependent on
American farm exports and become reluctant to
upset us.

This is what I found a some years back searching the subject, both copy and pastes. The embargo was only in effect for 15 months. Our government tried to use food to control the world, the world gave us the finger and began sourcing grains from other origins. Other origins ramped up production this was aided by our very strong $$$ vs weak other currencies (sound familiar to today) This was the final nail in the coffin of the American producers. Things that followed,

1980's farm crisis - enough said.
The old set a side program - this ended very poorly, we cut production the world increased production, high stocks/poor prices.
Set a side was later kinda replaced with CRP
Government grain reserve program, built the bins, store the grain, built more bins to store more grain Uncle payed for those bins.

KevinM this is why I'm VERY firm on this subject. Many do not want to except this,,,,, tho history HAS already proven this correct.
Your comment just below Kevin,
"If you keep saying something long enough does it eventually come true?"
Does not make any difference what you OR I say,,,,,,,,, history HAS already proven this correct. This is probably why there are a very very few that have already asked the question, when will the government owned reserve program start up again ? ? ? ? ?
New farm bill coming up right will be probably called something like the "Storage Assistance Program"
Think I'm crazy ? Already talk in DC of grain reserves.
Double think I'm crazy,,, remember what's happened to Mr. LDP Wheat

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)