AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hooking up 2nd PC to cabled network
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

YawLes
Posted 1/22/2017 05:35 (#5784889 - in reply to #5780934)
Subject: Troubleshooting

First - if you still have the original computer, re-install it on the network and see if it can connect. If it does, this verifies your cable is still good. I am a firm believer in punch-down blocks on both ends of long runs. This way you are pretty much assured of the quality of connections. If a patch cable goes bad, you simply get a new one, rather than having to replace the connector on your long run cable.

Next - I check the ipconfig /all settings, in particular, the gateway IP address. The computer that is connected to the internet has an incoming IP address from the ISP, but it will also have an internal network IP address which is the GATEWAY for the other computer to the outside world. Thus, the gateway address on the Vet office computer needs to be the same as the internal IP address of the main computer - most likely a 172.x.x.x or 168.x.x.x address.

If you do the ipconfig /all on the second computer, you should be able to go to the main computer and from a command prompt PING the second computer (if your second computer's IP address is 172.0.0.2, you would type in on the main computer PING 172.0.0.2 and should get four different lines of replies with a ping response time.

If you get a ping response, your two computers are seeing each other, but the second computer can't find it's way out - double check the Gateway setting.

To verify the second computer's connecting, I would use the following command line prompts:

ping www.yahoo.com - this will show connectivity to the outside world or not.

nslookup www.foxnews.com - if you have an issue with connectivity, this will prove you have a working DNS configuration.

Best regards
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)