AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to make your own website..or how are they made?... just curious how websites are made.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Fingers77
Posted 1/20/2017 06:50 (#5780692 - in reply to #5780390)
Subject: RE: How to make your own website..or how are they made?... just curious how websites are made.....

I just set our farm domain up. Website to follow. Mostly for email I have complete control over. That and it looks cool when I receive mails at that address.

First you need to find an open domain, look at godaddy to see if it's open. It's an easy place to look. Then you need to purchase the domain for the length of time you want at a price you like. That will be from a name server (I think that's what it's called). The longest I found is for 10 years. They need to be set for auto renew, or there are troll looking for names that are coming up for renewal and can poach them before you have a chance to renew. My sister just had that happen to her domain name. They wanted housings for the name. She told them to go pound salt.

THEN you need a hosting service. They set up the domain, and do the traffic direction, and actually "store" your website. Think of it as the place where your website actually resides. There are different types of hosting servers and prices accordingly. They should also offer the 24/7 support and web site building tools and services.

I used pcmag's recommendations and a bit of web surfing to find our name server and hosting domain. So far so good. It was pretty easy... So far and their customer service was a help, although a full day turn around with any problem solving. I doidnt want to take the time to call, this mostly was through email. I am happy with the time it took. I think they got backed up a week or so ago with the ice on the east coast and techs not being able to make it in.

All said for both name server and hosting, it is a tad over $10 bucks a month for us. I purchased the hosting for 2 years. Unlimited email addresses, unlimited website storage space, unlimited email box size. 24/7 support, website build tools. I thought it was a pretty good deal that's why I chose it. The hosting server control page is pretty easy to navigate and use I think. Pretty easy to set up mail. Great that I can just kill and change email passwords at will. If any mailbox gets too spammy, I can just kill it and create a new one with a few clicks. If a password gets lost, I can just change it.

Email good if you need more info. I can share what little more I know.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)