AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

listening device
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/12/2017 11:00 (#5762526 - in reply to #5761925)
Subject: RE: listening device

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have a couple of the older style Sony Walkmans that I use in different situations. I can use them with headphones while I'm exercising at the local fitness center/mowing lawn etc. I also use a USB cable from them to the newer audio systems in my newest tractor, car and truck. In the tractor, I use a short USB to Micro (maybe its Mini) cable to plug it into the radio. I use some Velcro on the back of the Walkman to "stick" it to the headliner by the radio. I can switch songs directly through the Command Arm on my Deere 8310R. In my Ford Car, I can even use the voice feature to have the system search for a particular song or artist. Another option would be to use a cable from the headphone jack to the audio port on these radios. I prefer the USB approach since control content can be handled through the radio without actually touching the Walkman.

The songs on the Walkmans are in the MP3 format. The content doesn't need to be music but can be anything in the MP3 format. I downloaded a bunch of Old Time Radio programs off of the Internet (they were already converted to MP3) and stored them on an external hard drive. I use the cable to go from the Walkman to the computer and copy the files (songs or episodes) to the Walkmans. No special program is needed for that as the computer shows both the external HD and the Walkman as storage devices and I just use normal file transfer techniques to make copies on the Walkman. A friend of mine has burned them on CDs that he plays on his CD player in his truck as he travels.

Another choice would be to copy the songs or episodes to a USB stick and plug that directly into a player or radio in a vehicle if so equipped. Still yet another option would be to purchase one of the FM modulator devices that plug into a lighter socket. They play a USB stick and broadcast it on a non used FM station on your radio. The devices often have some keys to change the FM frequency, advance to the next selection etc. I have some of the early ones and they worked very well. Later, the FCC forced the power output to be limited so that your device doesn't interfere with another radio in the general vicinity so the newer ones don't work so well. Yet another combination would be to use an appropriate cable from the FM modulator device to a radio input port.

I put one of those of a battery pack with a personal message on it on my front lawn during the Holidays. I spread the word and folks would pull into my driveway, stop, change their FM station and listen to my Holiday greeting along with a bit of the Beach Boys song, "The Little Saint Nick"

I would think that books could be handled the same way. I did try this with some Murder Mysteries that I bought on CDs. I use a Roxio software product to convert the original source to the MP3 format and put them on a storage device. The problem that I had was the chapters were not played back in the correct order. The Chapters had various names which apparently confused the playback order.

I think I could have gotten around this by converting the first chapter by itself and then rename it Chapter 1, then convert the second chapter and renaming it Chapter 2. Since many devices play them back in alphabetic order, the Chapter rearrangement problem migh be solved.

There are certainly other options that I haven't mentioned.

Edited by tedbear 1/12/2017 11:10

(IMG_1360[1].JPG)

(IMG_1361[1].JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1360[1].JPG (49KB - 132 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1361[1].JPG (64KB - 116 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)